Question for Ableton DJ's - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Disclaimer: I didn't read any of the responses because I think I know what most of them say. I might go back and read them after I post.

Umm…welcome to the hard part of DJing. I don't care what format you use, DJing doesn't take that much intensive effort compared to actually making the music you're playing. At least…not in a fingers moving kind of way. It takes a lot of thought, skill, artistry and preparation…but it looks like–and kind of is–a lot of standing around listening to music.

And for some reason it's a lot easier to stand there and listen to music if you're watching a record spin instead of watching a little bar get shorter in Ableton.

The hard part of digital/computer DJing is convincing yourself that it's okay to stand there and let a good track play. I get it. It's hard.

Tough it out.

If you do stuff because you're bored, you're going to ruin everything you play just like the vast majority of computer DJs I've listened to.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaus View Post
    The Marshall template posted is really awesome. I want to try and make the dummy clips in my set just have no idea how to start so probably gonna have to reverse engineer.
    Will marshall knows his shit.

Also, he has some stuff on his website about dummy clips. So do a lot of other people. Just google 'ableton dummy clips' without the quotes and you'll find out how to do it. It's not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    Otherwise Ableton is all about preparation and knowing what your going to do, so there won't be a whole lot to do because you're prepared instead of being spark of the moment like many Traktor users.
    Either you don't know how to use Live or you suck at it. The whole point of it is that it allows you to be spontaneous.

This view that Traktor is somehow more in the moment is complete bullshit perpetuated by people who don't know what they're talking about and supported by a couple of bad apples that just press play once and let Ableton perform a pre-recorded set. They're no different than the people who did the same thing with CDs or effing tapes.

Everything I can do in Traktor, I can do in Live. I just enjoy Traktor marginally more because it takes slightly less preparation. The only real difference is that Live can do a ton more than Traktor if you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Either you don't know how to use Live or you suck at it. The whole point of it is that it allows you to be spontaneous.

This view that Traktor is somehow more in the moment is complete bullshit perpetuated by people who don't know what they're talking about and supported by a couple of bad apples that just press play once and let Ableton perform a pre-recorded set. They're no different than the people who did the same thing with CDs or effing tapes.
    I sort of meant the fact it takes more thought beforehand to DJ in Ableton Live, whereas Traktor is less flexible and makes setup or preperation quicker. Also, setting grids and hotcues can be done quicker and on the fly. I didn't mean that Ableton did the work for you.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Tech Guru

Sweating feverishly with lightning fast fingers over the gear for 3+ hours is actually not always the most fun. I like to be busy during transitions, and otherwise keep it relatively simple. Drinking, dancing and talking with friends while a great track plays out is excellent. It's a party - it's supposed to be fun!

But if you're bored, either start taking some risks, or chat up more chicks. Don't always just think effects or modulation either. Some good old fashioned teaser drops and cutting back and forth before the mix can work wonders.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Quote Originally Posted by grazz16 View Post
    this

how cool is it to get to DJ exactly what you want to listen to and then be able to dance and party at the same time as opposed to be constantly looking down and worrying about the mix...i dunno just my opinion
    cos then you may aswell just put on a cd......

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Better to be part of the night, play wicked tuned and have everyone enjoy it rather than being disconnected from the punters and technically brilliant IMHO..... i know there's always a minority at gigs who appreciate and respect the technical challenges, BUT it is the minority with the majority there just to have fun and spend their hard earned cash on a night out.

Not suggesting putting on a CD BTW

If you know how to mix, you wont worry about the mix anyhow it'll be second nature regardless of the platform.
    Last edited by deevey; 04-29-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Better to be part of the night, play wicked tuned and have everyone enjoy it rather than being disconnected from the punters and technically brilliant IMHO.....
    This AND

If you know how to mix, you wont worry about the mix anyhow it'll be second nature regardless of the platform.
    This.

Where I work all weekend, sometime they enjoy complicated mixes and live Mashup, while sometimes you could receive some beer bottle... I think being able to balance both is an art. Always make things complicated may sounds boring, break the tracks build-up and overall feeling. It's not a DMC championship but a party.

my 2cents
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    I sort of meant the fact it takes more thought beforehand to DJ in Ableton Live, whereas Traktor is less flexible and makes setup or preperation quicker. Also, setting grids and hotcues can be done quicker and on the fly. I didn't mean that Ableton did the work for you.
    Cool. Sorry for assuming you were an idiot, then. It's just something that happens a lot.

No hard feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Better to be part of the night, play wicked tuned and have everyone enjoy it rather than being disconnected from the punters and technically brilliant
    amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    lol, um, i think thats a bit extreme...so if im not a controllerist and constantly beat mashing all night i might as well be a CD?

Whatever happened to picking and playing good music? When im out i dont give a fuck how many nobs or buttons you can push during the song, i care about the quality of your tunes and the smoothness of your mixing...

Quote Originally Posted by grazz16 View Post
    Whatever happened to picking and playing good music? When im out i dont give a fuck how many nobs or buttons you can push during the song, i care about the quality of your tunes and the smoothness of your mixing...
    amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    If you're constantly doing stuff, you better be doing Live PA. If you call yourself a DJ and can't let a track play, you're going to ruin everything.

I for one, don't pay for that shit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast