Technology doesn't make the DJ
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert
    Baldivis, Western Australia (Ex Edinburgh, Scotland)

Default Technology doesn't make the DJ

So here's the thing, I went out to a product demo for Traktor Pro 2 and Maschine and was treated to the reason why I think true DJ'ing is going down the toilet.

Call me old fashioned (or just plain old, I'm 36) but I think DJ'ing is more the banging on you're S4, loading up four tracks with the same bpm, in the same key and proceed to create a series of breakdowns interspersed with some standard tech house in between.

Technology makes it easy to juggle tracks, keep thing in tempo and have three tracks running together. This was a tough task with vinyl and beatmatching, impossible for me but when you work with two deck and a mixer you have to craft a mix, work the rhythm, build the momentum and let the music do the work, take the audience (if there is one...) on a journey. Choose your tunes, don't rely on sync, loops and effects.

Anyhoo, apologies for the rant. I'm not saying technology is bad, 'cause I love Traktor, wouldn't go back to vinyl (well only to transfer to mp3) but tech doesn't make a DJ a DJ, it's more than that......

Cheers
    Colin

nice stating of the obvious

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by ColinMorrison View Post
    This was a tough task with vinyl and beatmatching, impossible for me but when you work with two deck and a mixer you have to craft a mix, work the rhythm, build the momentum and let the music do the work, take the audience (if there is one...) on a journey. Choose your tunes.....
    You still have to do all of this with a controller. The S4 doesnt "craft a mix, work the rhythm, build momentum and take the audience on a journey" all by its self!!

Technology just allows one to be creative in a different way if you so choose to do so. Looping and using effects properly require tunes to be sync'd perfectly so IMO you can use effects and loops more effectively with technology. That said not everyone likes effects so they can just simply beat match if they wish to. Either way the DJ still has to choose the right tunes to take the audience where they want to go and the DJ still has to create and build momentum...... with or without tech!

Diversification allows for more unique DJing techniques.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

TL;DR: Shit DJs are still shit.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Jazz musicians probably feel the same way about vinyl DJ's... keeping two records in time with each other is piss easy compared to dedicating your life to learning an instrument and playing cohesively in a band together.

all just a matter of your perspective...

If it was a product demo, I'm not surprised if the music was uninspiring and not mixed creatively. They'll tend to use pretty generic sounding tracks and just sync them all up to demonstrate what the software does.

Tech indeed does not make a DJ, but using tech doesn't make you a bad DJ. Basically what kooper said.

I suppose the availability of technology solutions with sync does make it easier for a beginner to become a boring DJ if they can't be arsed.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    all just a matter of your perspective...

A viewpoint made many times,

but just to change your sign off there id say GEAR doesnt make a DJ a DJ. Its not just limited to the technology side of things.
    13" Core I7 MBP | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | 2 X Kontrol X1 | 2 X Pioneer CDJ 900's | Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus

If you fancy some Progressive/Tech house sets please check my MixCloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/jeffrey-clark/

Quote Originally Posted by 00DJC View Post
    GEAR doesnt make a DJ a DJ
    No. It makes him a drug dealer.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    No. It makes him a drug dealer.
    so he can cope with GAS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast