Online Backup Alternative - Backblaze
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Online Backup Alternative - Backblaze

Just started backing up my audio and mappings online. Searched around and found Backblaze.

http://www.backblaze.com/

Inexpensive, unlimited storage. Price and software can't be beat. Mac and PC compatible. I got anxious about my music all being on my external and internal, what if something happens at my apartment and I lose it all at once? Dropbox is great but, more expensive and limits the amount of storage. Been using it for about 2 weeks now. Runs great. However, it doesn't store your OS or application files.

Tech Mentor

sounds like something skrillex should be using.

I went with dropbox. More expensive, however it is the market leader. As such, there are lots of tasty hacks and iphone apps for it. As soon as they feel pressure from competitors they'll drop their price anyway I should imagine. It's gonna take me about a month to upload all my music anyway.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

I've been looking at http://www.dollydrive.com/ as another alternative. It works with Mac's built in time machine (sorry PC users) and so in effect, it's stupid easy to use if I'm reading it correctly.

Once I get more on this machine, I'll bite the bullet on it. But until then, keeping my eyes peeled.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Since I already have a home server , I use Bacula (enterprise class client/server solution) that makes daily backups, then once a month I rsync those backup volumes to an externally docked HD that gets stored in my safety deposit box.

With UBB (usage based billing) just around the corner , it will get expensive fast using online based storage solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by NewManSoon View Post
    With UBB (usage based billing) just around the corner , it will get expensive fast using online based storage solutions.
    I really don't feel that is going to be the case. UBB is something that the companies would love to do, I just don't see it actually happening at least in America.

I'm pretty sure when I was talking to a buddy awhile back in Australia (and you guys can correct me if I'm wrong) that was the case (UBB). But what works one place, doesn't work another.

I know if my company changed to UBB I'd IMMEDIATELY switch to another company that had unlimited. And I have a feeling others would do the same. Standardizing UBB, unless all the companies did it at once, is basically signing a business death sentence IMO.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    I went with dropbox. More expensive, however it is the market leader. As such, there are lots of tasty hacks and iphone apps for it. As soon as they feel pressure from competitors they'll drop their price anyway I should imagine. It's gonna take me about a month to upload all my music anyway.
    dropbox is ok.. i use it mainly for just syncing files with my ipod.

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/ is another option that's quite competitive in price

I actually dropped Dropbox on account of it being more syncing and less backup, but thanks for hocking up what I said like an ageing blob of phlegm, spambot.
    ---
    edit - spambot's been disappeared already
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    I.... there are lots of tasty hacks and iphone apps for it.....
    go on...
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Quote Originally Posted by ssjaken View Post
    sounds like something skrillex should be using.
    I don't get it
    Allen&Heath Xone:22 - NI Kontrol X1 - Novation Launchpad - Akai LPD8 - Traktor Audio 2 DJ - Pioneer HDJ-1000/Klipsch S4i in-ear headphones - Traktor Pro 2 - Macbook Pro 13" 2011 (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM)
    Soundcloud
    Facebook Fan Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast