VCI-100/Audio Kontrol 1/XP Home or XP Pro
    Tech Convert

Default VCI-100/Audio Kontrol 1/XP Home or XP Pro

Is anyone using the above setup with good results?

To make a long story short, I f-ed up and bought a new laptop w/vista for the vci-100/audio kontrol 1 setup. Hate vista and now want to go with an xp pro laptop. Also concerned whether 2 usbs (vci + kontrol 1) will cause a memory/buffer problem. Should I get a firewire soundcard instead?

Would love to get it right this time . Thanks for the help!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You'll be fine. On XP Home I have run up to 7 USB interfaces at once and DJ'd on it.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Thanks much DvlsAdvct--on 2 XP.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Out of curiosity, what are your complaints with Vista?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Well, I've been experiencing audio dropouts and crashes with traktor LE. I changed the theme to classic for better performance but no real difference.

Also, while playing 1 song in traktor, I opened up task manager and saw regular intermittent CPU spikes around & over 50%---seems a little out of hand with only 1 program operating. Maybe I should do more tweaks, but I just don't think vista is as stable as XP.

If you know of people using vista/vci-100/traktor/audio kontrol 1 with no issues, please tell---thanks!

Tech Mentor

I'm on Vista with a VCI and Audio8 (as of a day ago). I used to use a Connectiv as my soundcard. Oh, and I have a Trigger Finger plugged in to my laptop as well, and an external harddrive via USB.

In total that's 4 USB devices, attached via a hub (2 are on the hub, and 2 are straight into my laptop's native USB ports). I don't really have any problems either, nothing nearly as major as yourself.

If you're experiencing drop outs I'd figure it's a CPU problem, as in you're using too many resources. The best thing to do in this case would be to strip down Vista so it looks like Windows 95. I followed this guide when I first got my laptop:

http://www.audioforums.com/windows-v...timization.php

As well, there's the obvious - turn off your wireless, anti-virus, background programs etc etc.

Because the spikes are intermittent, I'm lead to believe that there's something running in the BG, not necessarily an application but a service. As well, try out different latency settings.

Finally, maybe Vista was indexing something? There's so many possible things that could be going wrong. Regardless, I can assure you that you can DJ in Vista just fine, it's totally possible

Tech Convert

Wow miyuru---very encouraging! Thanks a lot for the post. I'm going to check out that link and try to reconfigure vista.

Tech Convert

Default Traktor LE

Quote Originally Posted by miyuru View Post
    I'm on Vista with a VCI and Audio8 (as of a day ago).
    Miyuru (or anyone else), I'm having a problem with traktor 3 LE recognizing the vci as the midi in device when audio kontrol 1 is connected. Without audio kontrol 1 connected, vci shows up but as soon as I connect ak1, vci midi in gets replaced by ak1 virtual in!

Did u have this problem with audio 8!? Any suggestions? BTW, I'm using the latest version, traktor LE 3.3

Thanks much.