What do you use sample decks for?
    Tech Wizard

Default What do you use sample decks for?

So, does anyone who doesn't have a kontrol S4 even use them? I'm really having a hard time justifying them...
    My previous method of using one-shots and vocal samples was to just put them into tracks, and use cue points to juggle around inside them.

there aren't any cue points with sample decks, so I'm having to chop up my samples with a wav editor just to use them...

There's the "copy from deck", but that is quantized, doesn't work with vocal samples. I'm finding it easier and more effective to continue using standard decks.

I can understand swapping in and out loops, but it just doesn't seem like an efficient system for one-shots at all...especially when you're not on a S4 anddon't have dedicated controls for them.

I spin a lot of DnB and dubstep, which don't lend themselves to swapping in and out loops nearly as well as some other styles, in my opinion. So I really can't think of an excuse to use sample decks, but I feel like I sohuld be able to put them to use.

Thoughts? What do you guys use them for?

You can use them for repeating a robot voice saying "You're listening to the facemelting sounds of DJ vox5505!!!!!!" over and over again, at least three times per song.

Just kidding. please don't do this

I think the sampler would be good for short loops and sounds to add fun musical combinations (or even voices) to your sets. No reason this should be more difficult to use in dnb/dubstep than it is in any other genre. But yeah it looks like loading samples is a huge problem in TSP2; hopefully an update will come that allows samples to be grouped together and loaded 4 at a time since that is a no-brainer. The other thing is I wouldn't bother with this if you don't have some dedicated buttons for it - doing samples via the mouse is just tedious.

A midifighter would be perfect for this and if I could get TSP2 working properly I'd have written a mapping for this already, hehe... But I'm sure there will be an official DJTT mapping for TSP2 soon that does exactly this.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tripppppple airrrrhorn!!!!!!!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?zkztwjomoyj -- if you dont already have the sample
    Last edited by Nesquigs; 04-28-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

I use it in all my arguments against other DJ software.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Quote Originally Posted by exokinetic View Post
    I use it in all my arguments against other DJ software.
    this is so full of win it's bi-winning
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    Tripppppple airrrrhorn!!!!!!!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?zkztwjomoyj -- if you dont already have the sample
    DAAAA You beat me to it!