Anyone Have Experience in Gay Clubs ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone Have Experience in Gay Clubs ?

I'm trying out at a gay club tomorrow . I have some experience but it's been more of a pop/top40 type atmosphere and this club wants house.

I'm thinkin stuff like Basement Jaxx "Fly life" and More Tribal stuff mixed with Madonna Cher Whitney and Mary J remix's .

I call the stuff you play in gay clubs "Bath House." Anything by Tom Stephan.

Take a look at the last two pages on this Traktor thread: http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ght=bath+house
    Last edited by steveboyett; 01-23-2009 at 06:36 PM.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Tech Wizard

i always had succes with the more vocal garage-y house music, mixed with some more latin/tribal house stuff, and some (paradise garage) disco-classics on house beats..but then again, you have lots of different gay crowds, the same like straight crowds

I don't really know what your demographic is going to be like, but in my experience, I would steer clear of anything stereo-typically gay (madonna, culture club, rick astley) as I have actually offended the promoter before (i don't get booked there anymore =() Electro, Garage, and Indie dance usually do quite well tho. Crystal Castles, Chromeo, Chocolate Puma, The Gossip, Electric Valentine, are some vocals that are nice staples to the GTLB scene and there are plenty of remixes of these artists to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien1138 View Post
    I would steer clear of anything stereo-typically gay (madonna, culture club, rick astley) as I have actually offended the promoter before (i don't get booked there anymore =() Electro, Garage, and Indie dance usually do quite well tho.
    What? You must be joking. I went to Badlands in the Castro (San Francisco) a couple weeks ago for my friend's birthday. The DJ there was playing every stereotypical gay anthem out there. He wouldn't even mix... just wait 'til the end of the track and hit play for the next one.

But let me tell you. That place was more packed than any place I've ever been to and people were loving the music.

Here's the thing... you should play the music you were booked for... or if the promoter saw you playing somewhere else and wants you to play his night, then play the style you were playing. But most importantly, never play anything you don't personally like.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

I kid you not that I got torn a new one for dropping madonna and culture club... maybe it's just that club but that promoter was soooo angry I thought I was lucky to get out of there alive.

Tech Guru

Play : "Dancing Queen" Abba - " It's Raining Men" and " The Chase" Georgio Morodor and anything Patrick Cowley produced & they will love u :>
    Last edited by claudek; 01-24-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by darrel855 View Post
    I'm trying out at a gay club tomorrow . I have some experience but it's been more of a pop/top40 type atmosphere and this club wants house.

I'm thinkin stuff like Basement Jaxx "Fly life" and More Tribal stuff mixed with Madonna Cher Whitney and Mary J remix's .
    ya like was said before, just play what you want man. they're hiring you for YOUR taste, so have fun with it!

if your unfamiliar with house tunes, i'd start gettin your nose into the blogosphere.

start here: www.discobelle.net

download the tunes off the page.. when you finish, click the links listed under "Grindin" .... then download the tunes off those pages . rinse. repeat.

you'll have your finger on the pulse of house music before the day ends, cheers!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

How'd the tryout go?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    How'd the tryout go?
    Pretty good got some new gigs out of it. Just played alot of madonna , a britney and katy perry remixes lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast