Need help deciding what midi controller to get.

View Poll Results: What should i get?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Numark ns7fx

0 0%
  • S4 with denon dns3700

6 33.33%
  • S4 with other cdj or turntables

12 66.67%
  • Novation twitch with itch

0 0%

Default Need help deciding what midi controller to get.

I have a numark ns7fx. Its nice but ive been looking to sell it for a traktor s4 setup with a midi fighter and 2 denon dns3700's using timecode. What do you guys think. How are the dns3700's in terms of scratching compared to the ns7 or v7's. Can you guys think of a better setup? maybe novation twitch, some 4 channel mixer and audio 8 and some cdjs or turntables?

Botom line is what would you recomend. Keep in mind that i dont have much money, it would probably take me forever to save enough up for all that kit.

thanks in advance

Start with the S4, then look for deals. Timecode is somehow useless these days, but their feeling is somehow hard to beat. SLs turntable are classic...but their pricing is jumping really fast, CDJs (850 and up) are expensive but good... never tried the Denon one.

Denon SC2000 win for me for portable gear, while my beloved CDJ1000 or SLs win for 70-90's party.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

S4 is awesome, and if you want to scratch I'd pick up at least 1 technics. There's a reason they're ubiquitous.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    S4 is awesome, and if you want to scratch I'd pick up at least 1 technics. There's a reason they're ubiquitous.
    But Qbert was using a Stanton in that last video with Ean.

If you want to learn to scratch it can be done on just the S4, but would be easier with a turntable. If you already know how to scratch you'll just need to change your technique a little as the distance from the crossfader to where your hand rests on the platter is roughly the same. If you don't scratch and don't already have stacks of records there's no need to get turntables or even CDJ's for that matter.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    But Qbert was using a Stanton in that last video with Ean.
    Q-bert has used pretty much every combination of turntable/mixer that's ever existed! DMC still use technics
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

I dont know how to scratch yet. I think i would get a turntable for that and the midi fighters are just awesome. So you guys are all for the s4, but not timecode? Why does no one like timecode anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Black Hat View Post
    I dont know how to scratch yet. I think i would get a turntable for that and the midi fighters are just awesome. So you guys are all for the s4, but not timecode? Why does no one like timecode anymore?
    I think what they were really getting at is that the S4 does all that you would need and Timecode is really just exterior at this point. It feels good and looks good, but in terms of functionality the S4 does everything you could do with a Timecode setup and more.

I have some 12kMk5s and they honestly never get used. If I really want to scratch, I'll throw the Control Vinyl on and sesh it, but the S4 is so portable and so functional that I haven't had to bring my Tables to the last few gigs I've had. I'm also not too much of a scratch DJ, mainly working on live remixing and cue juggling, and the S4 works perfectly for that. Also scratching isn't necessarily something that you have to do. Many great DJs don't scratch in their sets, and to be successful scratching with Electronic music needs the right music and the right crowd to really work out. If you plan on being a hip-hop dedicated DJ, the an S4 and later on tables would be a good call.

If you are set on buying an external source to use Timecode, go with the Denon Media Players. They're great pricing wise and they work great, you'll also be used to the feel of the decks with your experience with the NS7. I used them at guitar center for just a little while and for controlling Traktor, they worked like a charm.
    MacBook Pro 13" 8GB RAM | Traktor Kontrol S4 | 2x Technics 1200Mk5 TTs | Yamaha Motif ES8 | M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 Controller | M-Audio Audiophile AV 30/40 Speakers | Pioneer HDJ-2000 | MIDI Fighter |

http://soundcloud.com/fullkontrol

Allright, thanks for the advice it really helps. YA ive played around with the s4 a bit and it raped the ns7 in every aspect except scratching and durability. I do play mostly house and electronic music so scratching would not be supper useful i guess. What do you guys think about the twitch, is there any potential in it? Maybe i would use it as a back up incase my s4 failed at a gig.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Black Hat View Post
    What do you guys think about the twitch, is there any potential in it?
    Looks awesome, I'm buying one. photojojo mentioned that there was a DJTT blog article in the pipeline on it, and that's pretty much the only reason I haven't already preordered one from a UK store. Hoping for a DJTT mapping and overlay or something.

If not, I've already got plenty of ideas on how I'd map it for Traktor