How long does it take you to make a 1 Hour Live mix (For Soundcloud)?

View Poll Results: From deciding which genre to recording the 1 Hour mix, how long does it take you?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • One weekend

13 76.47%
  • < 1 week

1 5.88%
  • < 2 weeks

3 17.65%
  • < 1 month

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default How long does it take you to make a 1 Hour Live mix (For Soundcloud)?

Most of you are probably thinking "easy: an hour...duhh." But I'm talking about from trying to figure out what genre you want to mix, making the tracklist, figuring out the transitions to each track, and retrying if you made an accident during the recorded mix.

I'm curious because I think I take way too long to make a 1 Hour set for soundcloud. It takes me about a 2 weeks to figure out the genre, tracklist, and transitions. Since I only use Traktor Pro 2 to record my mix, it takes me an additional 3-4 days (including school, studying, and work) to have it recorded to my satisfaction. Those last 3-4 days is when the frustration kicks in due to constant retrying if I screw up lol.

15 - 20 min if using mix meister.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

One weekend. One box of beer.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    One weekend. One box of beer.
    ^this

bout 2 weeks for me cause it takes me a while to find new songs

Banned

An hour, simple enough. Think it takes me longer to convert the mix to MP3, upload it and type out the tracklisting.

I never spend time "preparing" a mix, I just sit down, find a good tune to start with, hit record and press play.

My tunes are well organized and labelled, and with Traktor I can see if there's any issues that are coming up ahead of time where I can figure out what to do if need be.

If you really need to spend two weeks to record an hour mix you really need to have a word with yourself. I think everyone should just hit play and record for an hour and see what they come up with. If it's sloppy and boring then what makes you think you'll do any different when gigging out?

@Nephew Yea you are right that 2 weeks is too long to make a 1 Hour Mix

But for the guys that has to sit and think about their tracklist: I think the people who label themselves as perfectionists need to make every minute detail right before they can proudly say that this is the best mix they can do before they upload it to the rest of the world.

I have only done a couple house party/bar gigs and I can say from the experience that mixing at a house/bar is somewhat easier because of the amount of alcohol and distractions that seem to improve my mixes

Tech Guru

2 hours
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

i'll usually go about 2 weeks sifting through the tracks i want to use, what order, best possible transition points, what tracks work best harmonically mixing wise etc. I don't have all that much music at this point as well which makes it that much more difficult.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    2 hours
    This, if that long.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast