Throwing a party after a big music festival with no 'Brand-Name' DJ
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Throwing a party after a big music festival with no 'Brand-Name' DJ

I am trying to throw an after party for a music festival, but I have no fancy DJ's or anything. I need to get 100-200 people there, and willing to pay $10-$15 for this party, and at the same time there are parties going on throughout the city with Huge Names at Huge Venues. Can I get some advice on how I can throw a good party in this environment (and maybe make some money?)

A little background info, My brothers have all been bed room dj's but have been branching out lately with small parties and stuff. Of the three of us, only one has actually done some real parties, but he lives in Atlanta and won't attract too much of a following here. We're spinning house, soulful house, deep house, etc. so we should stand out from a lot of the techno and electro that will be big every where (It's the Detroit Electronic Music Festival).

I'd appreciate any info about throwing parties at all as I could get. I read all of the information about building club nights and building reputation as a DJ on the blog here and it was helpful, but some was not applicable since this is a one-time event in a city I don't live in.

hype, hype and more hype.

Tech Wizard

We're about to put flyers out, we're building a soundcloud page and a facebook page. Also, I was debating about putting up the extra $275 to put an ad in the official festival flyer, but I don't know. Anything else?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tads View Post
    We're about to put flyers out, we're building a soundcloud page and a facebook page. Also, I was debating about putting up the extra $275 to put an ad in the official festival flyer, but I don't know. Anything else?
    I think that's a good idea.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

If this is your first party, don't expect to make a profit. You'll break even *if you're lucky*.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by Publicservice View Post
    hype, hype and more hype.
    ..a must!

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I think that's a good idea.
    agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    If this is your first party, don't expect to make a profit. You'll break even *if you're lucky*.
    definitely take note of this, and always prepare for the worst!

check out the link in my signature for the big thread of promotion info... lots of handy tips in there!!

EDIT: make sure you put on the flyer that its an after party for the event. DONT say its an official after party - but do mention that its an after party... and make sure it is in a different color and font to the rest of the flyer's design so it catches the eye of the recipient.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the advice everybody, one more thing I thought about would be offering discounted admission for people.

Particularly:

Half-Off before 10

$2 off with a festival wrist band

and having cute girls hand out $2 off flyers the day-of. The flyers will have a unique stamp on them, and the idea is they will target people who like the kind of music and let them know that we want people with their taste at the party.

Are these discounts something I should shelve for a party that isn't my first party?

Lie and put Sasha on the flyers

SC | MC

There is one thing you'll wanna put on your flyer...

PLUS VERY SPECIAL GUEST
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I would recommend trying to find at least some local talent that can be some sort of headliner for the party. Having connections like that will bring in more connections and their following. The downside, unless you have a good connection with these people they will charge you around $200 - 300 dollars a set, or at least that's what a John Beaver, or Switchblade would go for here in San Francisco.

I like what the guy said above "prepare for the worst." The job of party promoter/producer during the party is to fix and adjust to problems and changes from the original plan.

Also, try and genuinely get excited about it when you tell people. The whole positive energy that you give off make an impression.

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast