Buying used pair of Technics 1200s

Default Buying used pair of Technics 1200s

I do not have my own turntables and right now i am thinking about buying a pair. My budget is wee bit limited, so i won't be able to get the best stuff. Buying cheap quality turntable is not an option if i want to use precise DVS system, so basicaly that leaves me with only option: Technics 1200s out of ebay and sort...

2 important questions :
    A) Seller says the decks were used only a little and for home purpose. If I get it right, technics should be most rock solid turntables on the market. Or are there very significant risks? Like every technics older than 5-10 years just doesnt spin right or something: Does anyone have tips what i should be aware of?

B) I am kind of lost between all the SL 1200s, mk IIs, 1210s and such... I can't realy tell whats the difference. Or an article which coresponds: "How to buy turntables and don't get burned" would be fine as well.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

I bought my technics 1210's mk11's second hand of a music production college in about 1996ish! Mine are still going strong and have never had anything done to them, apart from a service and new carts and needles every once in a while.

The only think i would think that could be a problem is the arm, if this is bent maybe, its prob the most expensive part to replace as all other parts are reletively cheap to replce really.

They are one rock solid pice of kit i can tell you that !!!

Not sure what the differences are apart from colours .. 1200's are silver arent they and i know a few of the oldskoolers really love them !!

The later 1210's have things liek pitch lock and a smooth pitch fader, nothing else is any diff i dont think! Although i may be wrong!

I have 1200's (I'm an Old Schooler!!!) - they've NEVER let me down. I bought 'em second hand nearly 10 years go. I wouldn't think twice about buying another second hand pair. If you're in doubt, get 'em serviced as soon as you get 'em home. It'll be money well spent.

Try searching www.craigslist.com I always seem them for reasonable prices.

I have 4 1200's, I bought 2 used from a dj back in '92 and I havent had any problems. He told me that he got them back in the mid 80's and only used them to play vinyl, and never to scratch.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

There should be a test light on/with the decks that you can use too to make sure the rpms and everything else are good with the platter and drive system. If seeing them in person isnt an option before buying you should still be good with 1200s. They are rock solid.

thanks for all the replies!
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII