Technics 1210 one channel not working
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Default Technics 1210 one channel not working

I recently bought a 1210 and a system (Ortofon QBert).

Today I tested it and sadly the output of one channel is missing completely.

I grabbed a voltmeter and tested the connectors inside the tonearm with the cinch-cable.

There are four connectors inside the tone arm. I could successfully check the upper two of them. One of each is connected to one side of the cinch-cable.

I don't know about the lower two connectors (I got no connection to any end of the cinch-cable with them).

Sounds like the system is broken or may I have overlooked something?
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

I had a similar problem with one of my 1200s and I ended up having to open it up and patch the RCA cable. It had severed just inside. Not too difficult. IIRC took me about an hour or so.

Hope that helps.

Tech Guru

the lower 2 are ground. if you get the upper two then that would indicate the tonearm and cable are good

it is possible that the connection between the cart and tonearm isnt clean. try looking at the 4 pins inside the tonearm, if any have dark spots, use a small screwdriver to scrap them off, also try removing the cart, lick your finger, and rub it on the pins of the cart, then screw back on
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    the lower 2 are ground. if you get the upper two then that would indicate the tonearm and cable are good

it is possible that the connection between the cart and tonearm isnt clean. try looking at the 4 pins inside the tonearm, if any have dark spots, use a small screwdriver to scrap them off, also try removing the cart, lick your finger, and rub it on the pins of the cart, then screw back on
    You are da man!
    Scrubbing off the dirt already did the trick.

I didn't dare to do it with a screwdriver (before you said it) and had no q-tips ready.

Now it's time to get rid of the click
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

it's a bad idea to use screwdriver on the long long, If you use a screwdriver, you scratch the contact "protective" layer, and then it will just "oxydate" faster than before. Not to mention that you'll no longer have a "Flat" and uniform contact area/surface. However, depending the shell type you used before, the contact are maybe no longer flat anyways.

You want to use Q-tip (foam one = the best) with some sort of contact cleaner (without lube, isopropyl alcohol usually works, Deoxit D5 also work), then use a can of compressed air. Repeat until the contact are 100% neat. On Tonearm and Cartridge side.
    Last edited by Steve Zorilow; 05-10-2011 at 05:28 PM.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

almost brought new decks because I replace the phonos and it was still down on one side and couldn't work out why. thanks for this tip I just cleaned the connectors in the tone arm and now I'm back in business.

Cheers for the tip saved me hundreds and the cost of new decks!

LukeDaLoop

Tech Guru

Glad to help
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

I have the same Qbert Concordes connected to my Technics 1200... and in Traktor it says Right Ch. missing...

I have used 2 Shure M447s and the other Qbert concorde and all work fine w/ that turntable and the other one as well... I even sprayed the recommended Deoxit on the back contacts of the Qbert Concorde, which I didn't think they're were necessary since I just bought them a couple of months ago... Any help with this?

Thanks,

Ollie

i have the same issue but left channel missing any help
    MBP 17 " , Allen & Heath Xone 92 , 2 X NI D2 , Midi Fighter Twister , MF3D , Maschine Mk2 , KRK RP6 G2 , Push , Technics 1210 mk2 , Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio Young Guru

Tech Guru

and you've tried the suggestions above?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast