Who goes clubbing to get ideas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Who goes clubbing to get ideas?

Just wanted to see who else goes clubbing when they can to help become a better DJ?

I go because I always get fresh ideas for new tunes to play and for producing tunes. It always inspires me. You see how people react to the DJ as well, this can help a lot.

What else? Oh yeah, you can make contacts there with a bit of luck.

Anyone else get the same benefits from doing this? If not, I recommend you to.

By the way, I wrote a whole article about it if anyone wants a read:

http://www.challands.com/club-DJing.html

I always go for the love of music but this is a significant part of why I go clubbing. And being in Paris, as you know, there are many good opportunities for this with quality djs .

Most of the time I'll look at how they work the eq, filters and effects. When there's something I like I'll try and emulate this in my sets. Also observing the different ways they interact with the crowd and present themselves.

It is more about musical inspiration though. It always helps when I'm getting bored of my tunes, or losing interest, or that maybe there isn't much I enjoy in what comes out that I'm following.
    I really like it when I fall in love with a tune that I can't get my hands on. It'll make me dig for more sets by that DJ, spotting tracklists and then following more artists and labels.
    And then, eventually, a few months later, that tune comes back to me and I can get an id which leads to a purchase. It can feel a bit like finally closing a girl I've been after without having opportunities to do so.
    Last edited by bumtsch; 05-11-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Tech Wizard

Yep agree on the motivation part - there's nothing like dancing to a good set to get you excited about DJing again. I never actually watch the DJ but you do get ideas on how they use samples and effects.

Where do you go these days? Everyone's moaning it's not as fun as it used to be.

Tech Wizard

I go for the Filthy Club babesssss

Twenty First Century Jukebox

DIGITAL HEART - VINYL SOUL

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    Where do you go these days? Everyone's moaning it's not as fun as it used to be.
    I'm a house+Techno lover, so bear this in mind.
    Tylically, i'm a regular at the Rex.
    There are good gigs at the Batofar, more styles too.
    See also the Social Club, although I don't go anymore (too hyped and too much electro house for my taste), there is the odd house gig there every now and then.
    The Webecome guys throw good parties too, you may have heard of their Terrassa events which used to be on a boat every Sunday during the summer. Now they're running at the Culture Hall (near Madeleine) every Friday or so.
    Last edited by bumtsch; 05-11-2011 at 09:21 AM.

I love doing that! Plus I saw Sigma last Friday, and had a good chat with one of them! Got to hear some of Pendulum's new promo remixes and heard some mega interesting transitions . .
    | TSP2 | Behringer DJX 750 | NI Audio 8 | Asus Eee PC | Novation Launchpad | Kontrol X1 | 2x Technics 1210 MK II's

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    Just wanted to see who else goes clubbing when they can to help become a better DJ?

I go because I always get fresh ideas for new tunes to play and for producing tunes. It always inspires me. You see how people react to the DJ as well, this can help a lot.

What else? Oh yeah, you can make contacts there with a bit of luck.

Anyone else get the same benefits from doing this? If not, I recommend you to.

By the way, I wrote a whole article about it if anyone wants a read:

http://www.challands.com/club-DJing.html
    I am trying to do this more often. I am one of the bitching/moaners who complain about how things arent as good as they used to be. So...I want to make them better and perhaps start them.

My problem is I get distracted...by dancing... I loose focus on the sort of study/observation thing because I just start to groove. I wish LA was closer and cheaper. I'd be out a lot more often.
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Tech Mentor

I live in an area with little to no DJ/Electronic scene, so whenever I go out the DJ is usually terrible. It inspires me to go home and work on my stuff

I would do it, if there were any proper djs in my area, as those guys labeling themselves DJ are some mic-shouting, itunes playlist using people that are unable to mix two tracks..
    Oh and even the weird DJs that mix only do a unsynced (not talking bout the button, but general beat matching) outro-intro overlay, nothing else, they don't even have any DJ gear except for the Club's mixer, which they can't use..

Im never out my town. seriously, in from work, shower, clubs. home, bed, work, repeat.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast