Advice for a novice

Default Advice for a novice

Hi,

I have to confess a lot of this is over my head so thought I'd jump in and ask...
    I've played live in many a band as a drummer for many years (and also composed) but have zero experience with making electronic music. (although I used to make live loops with a Lexicon "Jam Man" and I have also used Pro tools a bit for theatre/film sound design)

So I'm wanting to jump in and do 2 things:

(i) make my own music
    (ii) try my hand at DJ-ing

I think I'm basically sorted for the first point. Have just got Logic Pro and after a bit of research will buy a Novation Remote SL25.

But it's the 2nd point I'm a bit overwhelmed by.
    Basically my question is CD DJ or go the total digital option?

I would be really interested in the thoughts of some people with experience.
    Keeping in mind that I do like to be tactile with music making...ie I'm worried that with the total digital option that I'll loose that tactile sense?

And besides learning beat matching, are there any compelling arguments for CD's over digital?

Sorry for long post....thanks in advance!
    Peter

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If you are using Logic Pro, and you want to start composing electronic music, I think it would make a lot of sense for you to go digital. You will be able to have much more control over influencing your DJing with your own production and can live remix in much more interesting ways.

Now, that doesn't mean you have to throw away the tactile sensation. Try your hand at the time codes. I would recommend doing it on turntables because, well, that's the best kind of tactile DJing, and just totally skip the CD angle.

Also, you can use your MIDI controllers to use Traktor, keeping the tactile nature. You can program your Remote SL25, get a PadKontrol, a VCI-100, an Oxygen keyboard... anything really. If you go the Digital route you will have many more options then if you're using CDs. :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

You say you are a drummer so have you ever thought about djing with midi drums?
    Its possible to cue point juggle with midi drums, play on synths, trigger audio clips and/or just them as conventional drums.

I am thinking something roughly along the lines of Kj Sawka as seen here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp5OxEzxuSg

This setup would require a huge amount of work and thought but is something worth thinking about and working towards

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Either vinyl or digital IMO. CDJ's are just like locked down controllers with a limited interface. There is something inherently nice about using vinyl even though I find myself getting bored pretty quickly these days, but CDJ's just represent a technological fence between the time honored art of vinyl, and the world of digital where you creativity is the limit of what can be done.

Hey man, i was kinda in the same boat as you. Drummer here as well! REPRESENT!

I as well wanted to produce electronica, with the very limited knowledge i had with DAWs or even music theroy in it self. It was kinda difficult but i guess im starting to get better. All depends how much time you want to devote.... Sites like Warbeats.com or Youtube are great places to find tutorials how to learn.

As for controlling the music if you want to just try it out, get a Oxygen 8! I use it for traktor as well as Fl studio when im trying to produce. Its cheap as well.

I'm unsing both a CD setup and a digital setup...What I like about CD is that it is really simple, you get kind of a vintage sensation, you really focus on the music...the other great thing is that if someday you mix in a club, it's eassier just to come with a bunch of cd's and headphones, rather then briging a laptop, a soundcard and a controller...
    but in your case you should go digital....
    if you say you're getting a novation sl, then try it with traktor so you'll see i you like it...
    getting good gear to dj with traktor will always be cheaper than cd player (well if you already have a good computer) :
    vci + soundcard + traktor = 400 + 250 + 100 = 750 €

if you want the same level of performance with cd players :
    pioneer cdj 800 * 2 + korg 402 or wathever cool mixer with effects = 550 * 2 + 300 = 1400 €

For the 750 € you get a lot more control than the 1400 € option IMHO