OLD RELEASE NOTE Midifighter Classic Firmware-20110511
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Arrow OLD RELEASE NOTE Midifighter Classic Firmware-20110511

OUT DATED FIRMWARE

New features include:
    • Improved reliability for accessing menu & bootloader modes, please note the device takes longer to start up now so you need to hold the relevant key combination down for 2 seconds.
    • Super Combos have been built in to the firmware which will free up modifiers for future mappings
    • The analog expansion input has been updated,introducing a 3 tick dead zone at either end, plus the second CC has a maximum value of 105. This makes filters and effects end at a better sounding point in the range than fully filtered out.

Code:
      // New mapping style:

0  3             64           124 127
         |--|-------------|-------------|--|   - full range
            |0=======================127|      - CC A
                          |0=========105|      - CC B
         |__|on____________________________|   - note A
         |off___________________________|on|   - note B
            3                          124

More details in the updated Documentation on this board as well as the README.txt file in the Sourceforge ZIP file.
    Last edited by midifidler; 09-12-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Tech Mentor

Very very awesome, thanks!

The analog buffer zone is something I wanted (but never implemented) for our mod. I also see that the analog values are now smoothened before use - very helpful, I found ours are very jumpy (though not noticeable in traktor).

Pity we didn't finish our mod sooner, would have been nice to have my SPI modifications possibly added as it makes adding new SPI devices to the midifighter really easy (and since the new boards have the SPI MISO, MOSI and CLK pins exposed to solderpoints, it is now really easy to do this). Oh well, perhaps it will make it into 1.5

Now to dissect the combo code and merge the changes into our firmware. No sleep for me again, sigh

Rule #1 Always keep track of what you changed... and where.

Good long Comment Headers never hurt...

Have a look at PsPad, It can compare two source code and highlight any changes.

My 2 cents
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Ah, merging won't be much of a problem really.

I tried to leave as much of the original midifighter code as possible intact, so most of the "merge" is a simple copy'n'paste. The only thing that I changed that has been updated in this new firmware (that I can tell) is the analog buffer zone code (I changed the CC map slightly to make room for my additional knobs/faders since I have more than vanilla MF can handle). Also I will need to have the analog "smoothening" loop increased to smoothen my additional analogs, though I wonder if sampling each analog four times as in the new firmware will cause undesirable latency in my mod (since I have 32 analogs, that makes 128 ADC reads per tick). I'll try it and see.

For future mods, I will be using version control anyway, so finding future changes should be trivial.

The combo code is more substantial than I expected, I may have to leave it until tomorrow, head still a little mashed from the last few tweaks and fixes for our mod this morning (after a twelve hour hackfest ).

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Heya Guywithknife

Ill definitely look into incorporating your SPI improvements in a later release, I only just ran into them this morning as I was setting up the code release.

Cheers - its allways nice to see people making the most of open source products

And yeah the combo stuff is fairly intense - Fatlimey worked some coding magic there!

Tech Mentor

Well, I only just wrote the SPI code last night - its very new, so no biggie. I intend on using it for future mods though, and it may be useful for others too. Of course, you/fatlimey can decide once I've released the code.

Yep, it was a fun (though often frustrating!) project and we have a second (even more crazy and advanced) project in the early planning stages (we know what we want and are figuring out what components we'll need and how they need to interact). I had only minimal microcontroller experience prior to this project, so we both learned a LOT in the process. We probably wouldn't have taken the leap if the midifighter didn't have 1) convenient extension pins (thats how it all started) and 2) open source firmware to learn from and build upon. So we owe you guys at DJTT a big thanks!

I have a pretty good feel for the midifighter firmware at this stage. Spent a lot of time working through it. Also became very intimate with both the AT90USB162 and PIC24H datasheets and learned a lot about those too - enough to feel comfortable taking on an even more ambitious followup project! But first, I need to release my existing code. I hope to have it online tomorrow or Saturday anyway.

Again, thanks for a great product.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post

Super Combos have been built in to the firmware which will free up modifiers for future mappings
    :eek:
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Successful flash, I love that new updater.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Student

Default Not getting to bootloader mode

My midifighter is not getting to bootloader mode. Here is what I'm seeing.

Flashing the midifighter...
    Failed to find midifighter in bootloader mode.

I'm following the instructions as outlined in the update program. I'm on a Mac and I did move the program to my desktop.

Not sure what I'm missing. Please help.

Chris Jennings FHP

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast