Organizing music :O

Default Organizing music :O

In programs like ableton you dont really have accsess to itunes playlists and the great organization of its library ( ie. playlists and etc. ) you pretty much have to resort to how itunes organizes your music in the finder, which is really inconvienent...
    i was wondering if there were any programs for mac which help better organzise your music out of itunes. I know i could just manually organize my itunes library and set it up how i want, but on mac one cant maked linked or "shortcut" files like on windows so i cant for example make playlists or put a file into multiple folders without duplicating it ( which is awful since alot of fines are over reallly big! ) anyway i hope you guys know kinda what im asking.

+Jim

sure you can create shortcuts on a mac... just create an alias of the file (that's what time machine uses for it's backups so you have your file virtually in every backup but physically only in one backup to save space). sounds like that's exactly what you'd need!

for a program that organizes your music - sorry, i haven't got any knowledge about that... i'm still organizing my files manually to use with traktor (i like those itunes playlists - but only for my ipod, with traktor i'm only relying on myself sorting those tunes into the right folders).

MBP, 10.5.6, TPro 2.0.1, Kontrol S4, VCI-300, a bunch of other makes-nerds-happy-stuff
    ...and still haven't got the heart to get rid of my Turntables, Mixer and my Vinyls
    Reggae, Ragga, Dancehall, Chill Out, Dubstep, Breaks, Drum & Bass

i just have itunes open also and use that as my organiser. are you saying you don't like it that way?
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

i split my music into genres (folders): new wave, indie, electro...
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    i split my music into genres (folders): new wave, indie, electro...
    same here and im running textfiles which help me whilst djing.

kazey and bulldog - it's allright (funky bmore) 130
    tomb crew - welcome to dmore (heavy bass bmore mit nice zupfinstrument) 130
    young mc - bust a move (diplo remix) (nice style heavy bass) 129
    Dre Skull - I want you back
    Fischerspooner - Cloud (Elektro nice) 130
    Figure - all the beatle people (Nice violine und nice beatles)
    Figure - Its in his kiss (Cher remix)

looks like this... also divided into different categories...

Tech Guru

i organize my music by the dates I acquired them.

im with u duerr but it gets a bit overwhelming at times. i also use itunes playlists but i was thinkin it would be good if there was a way to say when i play a song it comes up with a playlist of song i know work well together etc (that i have made previously ofcourse). if you get what i mean, does anyone know any such solution?

As a Dj Dinosaur, there is actually only one thing that I use to organize my music, my Brain.. Honestly, try to learn your tracks. Or learn them by covers (some people seem to like that as well). I keep my music organized in Genres though. I think there is some kind of script that will move your files into genre folders, but I am so used to make it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    im with u duerr but it gets a bit overwhelming at times. i also use itunes playlists but i was thinkin it would be good if there was a way to say when i play a song it comes up with a playlist of song i know work well together etc (that i have made previously ofcourse). if you get what i mean, does anyone know any such solution?
    Ean or someone has done a blog about this ... everytime you find some songs that work well together add the name of the other song into the comment tag of each song. That means whenever you pull that song check teh comments and bobs your uncle, fannys your aunt instant link to a well working song without having to think too much