Traktor Pro 2 ratings don't import from iTunes

Default Traktor Pro 2 ratings don't import from iTunes

Hi guys,

I noticed this behavior with TP1 as well but it's just now that I came about to ask. I use iTunes to manage my music and I work a lot with ratings. For some reason, some files import to TP2 with ratings but most don't, forcing me to rate them again manually.

This is of course a pain since I don't always remember what song I liked the most. It's also peculiar that some tracks do get ratings in TP2 while most don't.

Any ideas as to what can be causing this? The tracks are a mix of MP3s and AACs in M4A format.
    Check out my pages on SoundCloud and MixCloud

Gear: rMBP15" + Traktor Kontrol S4 + S4 Flight Case + Traktor Pro + iPad with Traktor DJ + Tonium Pacemaker

Tech Guru

I think it may be the track file format. Check to see which ones are not importing and see if its all the AAC or M4A or both. I use only MP3/WAV and they always import over from itunes
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

I don't think iTunes writes track ratings to the ID3 tag, instead it keeps them in ithe iTunes collection somewhere?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Guru

It does write them as I use iTunes and import all my songs after rating them into Traktor and they always retain the same ratings.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Traktor will only import the rating the first time it comes from iTunes. It's a little sucky, but that's the way it is.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

iTunes saves the ratings to its XML database file, not in the ID3. Interestingly, file format seems not to be the issue. Some MP3s get ratings, some others don't. Maybe photojojo is onto something... but the I didn't have all these tracks in Traktor's collection. It was the first import.
    Check out my pages on SoundCloud and MixCloud

Gear: rMBP15" + Traktor Kontrol S4 + S4 Flight Case + Traktor Pro + iPad with Traktor DJ + Tonium Pacemaker

Tech Student

I've had the same problem and after trying several different things (I'm very particular about how my itunes is displayed in TP2) I've found, maybe I'm stating the obvious here, Right click itunes in explorer box in TP2 and import collection, I've tested several times and this has imported my ratings from itunes.

I used to import my itunes by right clicking on "Track collection" and importing music folders.... this never brought my ratings over from itunes.

So I had to uninstall several times just to get this right and you dont have to fully uninstall, you can just delete (or rename to old.Native Instruments or move to different folder) the Native Instruments folder under ->
    Macintosh HD -> Users -> %Username% -> Documents -> Native Instruments

Then you can try importing your itunes library again, this has worked for me some hopefully it does for others!

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlfreq View Post
    I used to import my itunes by right clicking on "Track collection" and importing music folders.... this never brought my ratings over from itunes.
    Perfect! That worked like a charm, Thanks for the suggestion!