club promoters
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: club promoters

Default club promoters

yo anybody in here do club promoting along with dj'n, i got an offer to do promotion also along with the dj'n which means more money lol.

but i want to get some tips from yall i know how to talk to people and convince them to come somewhere, and i am already getting flyers made.

but anything else
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

I am interested in seeing what you guys come with with replies to this thread actually, i know nothing about promoting

Default By reading this you agree to send JesC $14.95 via paypal j/k

Promoting and djing @ the same venue is hard but very rewarding. Either you fly high or crash and burn with your own night (Im being honest I've had 1 event bomb on me)

Hot girls! If you have any girls friends that are hot, have them Host the event. Have them bring there friend and take care of them at the bar. That usually brings in alot of guys, which spend stupid amounts of cash at the bar when there are girls there. If thats not available get 1 or 2 Go-Go dancers, ive seen them get paid like 50 bux for 2 or 3 hrs @ the club.

The 1st night, have a good drink special that run 1hr longer than any other club or have a open bar from 9:30 to 10:30 if possible. Also work something out with the club/bar owner to hook you up with drink tixs so you can hook some people up with free drink. Let say the 1st 10 people that show up that are not your friends get a drink on the house.

Have all your friends to show up on the 1st night so it looks packed. Friend support always help out, and you see who your true friends are when you open up a club.

Also try to get weekly guest dj's from the area to either open or do a closing set. If you get a very well know DJ hook him up and give him the prime spot. 12-1 am

Free CD giveaways every week helps too, I usually make 10 cd's per week for my sunday night in L.A. and it does help to keep people coming back.

Try to get a photographer to take pictures, if money is tight any decent digital camera will do. So have a friend take pics of everyone that shows up, and be prompt on posting the pixs on your myspace page or whatever social site you put on the flyer.

If you plan to charge, do it from the get go. Being that if the place is free and its starts getting good then you charge, it usually turns people away. But try to reward people that get there eariler, like a free b4 11pm or something like that.

I have also seen this work, when you have a cover, "with paid admission 1 shot @ the bar" make sure its the cheap stuff vodka, tequila, whiskey....

Also if you plan to promote your gigs on myspace, I recommend a program called "Friendblaster" its a pretty good program that lets you add friends and what not. But the neat feature is to send auto bulletins every 30 mins or whatever you set it to.

On you myspace bulletins make sure to add a playlist of the music you plan to play, I use IMEEM.COM you can find my mixes on the site, and it lets you tag them to have music embedded.

Getting paid, now that can become tricky. I would ask for a flat rate. Lets say $150 to DJ and once the bar meets a certain dollar amount you get a % off the bar. Be it 5, 10, 15%

Also promote your event on Craigslist, its free and you also have college students on that site looking for something to do.

Sorry that I was long winded but I do alot of promoting and I enjoy having events. I usually get a turn out of about 100 people on sundays (small dive bar) which is good being that before I started they would only get 5 to 10 people.

Goodluck and tells us how it goes, plus if you club blows up I better be a guest dj @ ur club!

PS:Remember to proof read you flyers for typos, make sure the date, address, location, & numbers are correct. When you think your done, go have a smoke (not weed to be in the right state of mind) and take a 2nd look at it, then have a friend double check it on you.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

wow good looks man pretty much how we are doing it with the pay, i get the money from the door and the club gets the money from the bar.

I do have a friend that does pics if i throw a little cash at him if he would be down for doing it.

i got another guy who is a graphic design major and he is using the flyers he makes for me in a project for class so flyers are free,

and great tip with the guest dj, i am cool with a guy who dj's on the radio here in town which i know he will do it for me since we are still real cool and he might put it out on the radio.
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    PS:Remember to proof read you flyers for typos, make sure the date, address, location, & numbers are correct. When you think your done, go have a smoke (not weed to be in the right state of mind) and take a 2nd look at it, then have a friend double check it on you.
    hehe yeah i remember someone on the forums saying they accidently put the wrong address on their flier once, by the time they realised it was too late and the night flopped So if you were reading that thinking its not possible - think again !

Amen to JesC! I used to Promote clubs before I got stiffed by one of our dj's then had to get on the decks and learn to dj on the spot with the mixed CD's i had in my car. Then fell in love. Anyways everything JesC stated worked for me when I used to promote.
    1st Setup (Main rig)Dell Studio XPS 1640 2nd Setup (Hotel & Living Room Parties, Kick backs etc.)MSI Wind U110 Intel Atom 1.6ghz Dual Boot Mac OSX 10.6 and Widows XP SP3 Accessories Native Instruments NI Audio 8 Traktor 3.2.2 Vestax VCI-100 v1.3http://www.myspace.com/syphic

Tech Guru

take advantage of the internet. social networking sites and club/rave forums are a promoters best friend. In my experiences as a promoter they've been much more helpful than flyers.

Create a facebook event. invite all your friends, then tell all your good friends to invite all of their friends.... and so on so forth... You may risk coming across a little strong but it's worth it in the end, do what's necessary to get the word out. There's nothing to be gained by being a passive promoter.

Find your local club/event forums (clubvibes etc.) and promote the event on there. Even better, make friends with the people who frequent those forums so that they'll go the extra mile to not only come support your shows but they'll also get the word out to their friends.

Be friendly, be willing to meet new people. Friends = Fans = Supporters = Succesful Events.

Good luck.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yeah, JesC pretty much said everything I was gonna...
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Good post JesC. I have to agree with everything you said except these points... not that I disagree really... but I have a different take on it.

If you plan to charge, do it from the get go. Being that if the place is free and its starts getting good then you charge, it usually turns people away. But try to reward people that get there eariler, like a free b4 11pm or something like that.
    So, I've successfully, managed to start off free. Then after a few months, charge a small cover, but make it free before a certain time. Then increase the cover. Then start moving the Free Before time earlier every few weeks.

Getting paid, now that can become tricky. I would ask for a flat rate. Lets say $150 to DJ and once the bar meets a certain dollar amount you get a % off the bar. Be it 5, 10, 15%
    That's one strategy... If you can work it though, I would keep the entire door... you may have to pay the club a hundred or so for security... and have them keep the entire bar. You'll make less money at first, but it'll really pay off when your party starts taking off.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    take advantage of the internet. social networking sites and club/rave forums are a promoters best friend. In my experiences as a promoter they've been much more helpful than flyers.

Create a facebook event. invite all your friends, then tell all your good friends to invite all of their friends.... and so on so forth... You may risk coming across a little strong but it's worth it in the end, do what's necessary to get the word out. There's nothing to be gained by being a passive promoter.

Find your local club/event forums (clubvibes etc.) and promote the event on there. Even better, make friends with the people who frequent those forums so that they'll go the extra mile to not only come support your shows but they'll also get the word out to their friends.

Be friendly, be willing to meet new people. Friends = Fans = Supporters = Succesful Events.

Good luck.
    yea facebook is where its at, its all we use as well as stickin posters in obvious places
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast