Mixers: Pioneer vs. A&H
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Mixers: Pioneer vs. A&H

Hey guys, I've been thinking about upgrading to a 4 channel mixer...running with the DJM400 at the moment. While most of the time I play with Traktor, sometimes I don't use software at all.

By far one of my favorite FX to use is Filter. Works great within Traktor but when using the DJM alone, it sucks...it bounces to the BPM even after adjusting the FX size. I see that the Xones seem to keep the filter running as long as it is enabled. Can the DJM do this, or is this their drawback or am I just retarded?

Seems silly but if this is the case, I may be selling the 400 just to get a decent filter that I can actually manipulate as with the Xone series. The FX I can always use from Traktor.

Second Part: Using an Audio2 as an audio card, must I upgrade cards in order to use all 4 decks mixing externally in Traktor? Wanted to control decks C and D with an X1...

Thoughts? Answer to my questions?
    Thanks!
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Depends on what mixer you get. I had an extra Audio 8 when I had a DJM-800. 1 USB cable to the laptop (internal mixer), 1 USB cable to the sound card. DJM-800 acts like a midi controller... most nobs send MIDI messages. Bob's your uncle. I believe you can do some other routing but yes, you'd need something bigger than the Audio 2, and at that point there's (very slight) signal loss. I'm weird like that.

I can't speak for the A&H Xone:92 b/c I've not used it, but the 4D on which it is built is Traktor compliant. USB to the laptop and you're done. All the music is routed digitally, and you use external mixer mode. Most (if not all) of the knobs (on the Xone:92, assuming it works like the 4D) send no MIDI messages. It takes a bit of getting used to b/c Traktor will auto gain your tracks for you, while you have your own gain knob which acts independently, etc. But, I'm glad I made the switch. (I was using 2 CDJs, and Audio 8, and a 1D... I wound up selling it all for the same price as a used 4D).

The only problem w/ the A&H gear is run a risk of ejaculating all over it b/c it's so fucking awesome.

Thanks mate, I'm looking at either the 92 or 42. I want to use my CDJs still on decks A and B and an X1 on C and D, but externally like you said.

How is it that the Xone did not require a soundcard like the Pioneer? Built in?

Edit: I guess my question is how would I incorporate a 4 channel mixer into my setup? X1 is coming soon and I am so confused what difference a 4 channel would make vs a 2 channel but while using 4 decks or the sample decks...
    Last edited by Gryz; 05-15-2011 at 09:49 PM.
    KRK RP8sFG

The Xone series, other than the 1D, do have sound cards built in. The X1 only sends midi commands, right? It is, for all intents and purposes, decoupled from the mixer, whatever mixer that may be. It will only load tracks, sync, jump, etc. You won't really do any mixing with it... that's all done w/ your mixer (either internally (via MIDI) or externally...depending on your mixer).

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

The Xone series, other than the 1D, do have sound cards built in.
    All the Xone series apart from the 3d/4d/2d/DB4 DO NOT have soundcards built in.

92 & 42 definetly do not.

*Did not included DX as its a midi controller designed for itch

How does one have to route the sound on the 92 to Traktor?

Quote Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
    How does one have to route the sound on the 92 to Traktor?
    Audio8 or other soundcard.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Mentor

if you want to record your mix, you just use the record output of the 92 and one input of the soundcard and configure traktor accordingly in the input options.

for dvs use please take a look at the traktor homepage, you'll find useful pictures about connecting the interfaces to a mixer.
    Xone 42, 12x0 mk2, Adam Audio Monitors and Sub

Thank you for the replies so far. You have answered most of my questions already.

My ultimate question then is this: How would I incorporate a 4 channel mixer into Traktor 2 using 2 cdjs? Is there any point in using a 4 channel mixer at all vs a 2? I want to use the sample decks, but can still use them using my 2 channel I have now...any good reasons for the upgrade to a 4 channel?
    KRK RP8sFG

If you have an audio 2 and want to have 4 stereo outputs you can buy another audio 2 and use the ASIO drivers to combine them together. Much much cheaper than buying a sound card with 4 stereo outputs and you lose absolutely nothing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast