Need some constructive criticism

Default Need some constructive criticism

Hey guys just looking for some constructive criticism on my mixes I have up.
    www.soundcloud.com/2089a-d
    Thanks for any input.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fitzyp View Post
    Hey guys just looking for some constructive criticism on my mixes I have up.
    www.soundcloud.com/2089a-d
    Thanks for any input.
    I listened to the mix you have up called "sidewalkjustice" ... here are my comments in bullet point format :

- I am not wild about the style of music that you chose, but I think you chose good tracks for that style.

- I feel like there was not very much overlap between your tracks or during your mixes.. it seems like you might benefit from repeatedly looping non-vocal and non-progressive sections of your records and mixing them together with clean EQ-sharing between the tracks, so that your mixes with vocals and etc might last longer.

- You seem to use effects and filtering more than EQ in general. I think you would get better returns from judicious use of these and more focus on EQ.

- Looping and chopping is even riskier for this kind of vocal driven music. I can understand where you're coming from with the glitchiness but if it's sudden within the mix it sounds a little like.. you hit the "glitch" button on the controller..

- I could have used a bit more progression in terms of the overall mix, especially in terms of an intro and outro..

All in all, I didn't dislike it and none of the mixes were terrible. Keep at it!

!!! AWESOMER !!!

Tech Wizard

I'm listening to H.A.L. 9000, imo I think it should have started a little sooner, the transitions were fairly clean although I found the style of music did not really match from first song to the second, as well as I'd like'd it to have, your beatmashing fx also needs some work, too much chopping! try to keep it to a sequenced mash that matches with the time frame in the songs otherwise it will give people headaches!! hope that helps~!

if you'd like to check out my summer mix feel free!

http://soundcloud.com/kevin-colin/summer-fun-mix

ENJOY~!

thanks guys for the pointers. Its been awhile since I've posted those mixes . I really need to get some new ones up. None of those mixes were planned, just push record and wing it. I've gotten to the point where effects are very minimal, It seems very little can go a long way. Beatmasher is definitely one to be used scarcely.
    I've always seemed to have quickly transitioned between songs. Recently its been more EQ mixing, looping vocals, bringing the loop back in. Been using 4 decks more to keep it going. I think I used to drop the song quickly out to load up the new tune, not utilizing other decks available. Anyways thanks for the pointers dudes, Ill definitly check out your mixes. let me know where they are posted. New mix up soon to show the progress since those mixes were posted three months ago. Cheers
    Macbook Pro : Traktor Pro 2 : VCI 400SE : Maschine : Midifighter Classic : Akai MPKmini : Akai MPD16 custom : Komplete Audio 6 : VCI 100SE Arcade #87/100 : Check out my mixes at http://soundcloud.com/2089a-d