Need Help with Reggae Music
    Tech Student

Default Need Help with Reggae Music

whats up guys its awesome to be here i have been reading a lot of your posts and im pumped to learn from you guys!... Im currently opening up for a well known reggae dj and his blends are so clean i know with a lot of reggae djs its about the mcing and hes good at that but im more concerned with how to count the beats i have read alot of people saying its still 4/4 time but im getting thrown off cause for instance im not hearing the snare on the 2 and 4 in Beenie man Romie (link is below) any help would be appreciated thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI-g_0mUUmE

Tech Guru

i listen more to vocals sometimes......You have a nice kick drum on the 1 and after that its on the bassline which gets washed away a little w/ the vocals, snares, and other kick drum beats. Just listen to the vocals a little more. If your using traktor you can always go to the first kick drum of the song (easy to find)...thats obviously the 1st beat....... and use the beat jump button to scroll through the track. That way no matter how far you go into the track you'll always be on the 1.

Tech Student

i really appreciate the feed back i never thought of that and i guess its all about training my ear. thanks!

Tech Student

does anyone else have any advice???

Well i'm no expert, but i use mostly loops with reggae and reggaeton. Even 1 beat or 2 beat loops. There are most of the times a lot of continuous vocals going on.

If that doesn't work or the bpm range is so much of i use the delay effect.
    http://soundcloud.com/thom-b/
    2011-04-14-the-corners-of-my

KONTROL S8, 2x KONTROL D2, XONE DB4, traktor audio 10, kontrol x1, pioneer hdj 2000, software traktor scratch pro 2 & ableton suite 9

Quote Originally Posted by souldancer View Post
    Well i'm no expert, but i use mostly loops with reggae and reggaeton. Even 1 beat or 2 beat loops. There are most of the times a lot of continuous vocals going on.

If that doesn't work or the bpm range is so much of i use the delay effect.
    this is really the only thing i came up with so far, too. it doesn't satisfy me at all, as i am used to real clean transitions from EDM.

any other input here?

i'm a huge dancehall head, but i won't try to find any gigs for that genre unless my mixing starts to sound nice.

been thinking about creating alot of bootlegs/edits that contain instrumental parts and/or breakdowns/sweeps/fills to make it easier, hmm...

romie is a great classic btw, love it.
    "its not designed to impress mozart ffs its meant for ppl to rave out to." - unknown
    LAZERNOIZE Latest Gig Recording (50Min. of Trap+Dubstep)