Firewire Cable Keeps Coming Unplugged
    Tech Wizard

Default Firewire Cable Keeps Coming Unplugged

I'm using the Mackie D.4 Pro Mixer with my Macbook Pro. It has a firewire connection and it doesn't stay in my laptop very well. Last time I was DJing it popped out at the beginning of the gig...luckily it was before many people were there.

But, have any of you had this problem with firewire? If so, have you found a way to secure it so it doesn't fall out?

have you tired using a different cable
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Yeah as long as its not a 4 pin plug it should be fine, probably just a bung cable

Tech Mentor

For kicks check inside the connection in the computer, maybe there is some crumbs inside that doesnt allow it to be fully seated
    Thank Ya!!!

yeah the 4 pin connections are horrible - i am using a expresscard -> firewire card just so i got a couple 6-pin firewire connections that are much harder to dislodge.

My 6 pin firewire on my MBP often comes loose, and this has happened to me in the middle of gigs before.

My recent solution has been gaffers tape, but I think it could still come loose if bumped enough.

I've been thinking about using something like this, and drilling a hole in the backside to stick the cable through:

I also use tape. Painters tape to be precise. Firewire and USB just have too little insertion force and easily get pulled out. After I put my laptop on on the table, I tape the cables to the table, so they're not as likely to come out.

Alternatively, I have a friend who uses aluminum foil tape. He cuts thin strips the length of the plug, and wraps one or two layers around the male end. This snugs the fit very well.
    AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile 2.0GHz, 4GB Ram, BCD-3000, WinXP(Pro)-SP2, Traktor Pro

Tech Wizard

Yeah I have 6-pin firewire connector on a Macbook Pro as well. I've tired multiple cables and none of them fit that well. I'm thinking that the aluminum tape would probably be a good call. I think the connector on my Macbook Pro is just a little too large and doesn't hold it very well.