OT: Anybody from Bay Area hiring for any job.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT: Anybody from Bay Area hiring for any job.

Long story short I have a gig coming up. And so my parents basically said make a choice, give up DJing and sell my gear and attend college or keep DJing in my life.

I'm Choosing DJing.

I hadn’t been happy for a long time. Until I began to DJ.

I am/ was a year or two from graduating with a BA in Global Studies and International Business with a focus on maritime security and Anti Terrorism.

Some areas I excel in are: Critical thinking, (I have my SAT I'm in 98th Percentile) Problem solving, Probability, and I have a gift for talking. Most importantly I keep my word, If I say I will keep my word and do something I will even if it ends up in not benefiting me.

So if you know of anyone let me know. In a PM or in here.
    Last edited by chrisw; 05-18-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added how to get ahold of me
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Stay in school and work part time for DJTT.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

what do your parents mind about djing and going to school? sounds like a perfect combination to me!
    "its not designed to impress mozart ffs its meant for ppl to rave out to." - unknown
    LAZERNOIZE Latest Gig Recording (50Min. of Trap+Dubstep)

Cause they think i concentrate on DJing more than school which isnt true. And DJing is what makes me happy. Ive suffered from depression for a long time.. But the decks make me happy.
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Honestly, look into scholarships and such, and figure out where you stand cost wise if you were to go back by yourself without your parents help.

My biggest mistake in life was going to a college I couldn't afford on my own, and then my parent's making that same call (not going to help anymore) and I was shit up the creek without a paddle.

I'm currently going back part-time now (state schools), and while it's harder, I'm more motivated and it seems a lot easier. And the cost? Nothing directly so far, because I'm sticking with inexpensive school and only doing 6-9 credits at a time.

But in all seriousness, sounds like you need to have a sit-down with your parents and really explain to them that DJing isn't affecting your college career in any way except keeping you happy.

It's a fine line to walk, but honestly, do whatever you can to get that degree ASAP so you just have it behind you. You have a long time to do what you WANT, and the best thing you can do for yourself in the long run is powering through to get that piece of paper so you'll be better able to get a job that will keep you financially sound.

One option might be potentially downsizing your DJing rig for a bit so it's not as obtrusive.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

I have a SC 2000 and LPD8 cant really get much smaller.

i ended up going back to school after playing for a few years locally with a weekly night...

part of me regrets none of it...it's life...

but if i had it to do over again...

when i went back the to school the second time i survived off live sets...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Stay in school. It's hard to go back. Try to meet some type of compromise w/ your family. Show them you have good grades (or set a minimum, like 3.0). Tell them if you fall below, you'll let them hold the DJ gear.

EDIT: This is an awful time look for a job.

^^^This!^^^

I skipped school for a career in djing and sound tech work. I love it, and wouldn't trade my job for anything, but I'd love to have a "real" job to fall back on when the economy is this this fucked. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by jakeintox; 05-19-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    ^^^This!^^^

I skipped school for a career in djing and sound tech work. I love it, and wouldn't trade my job for anything, but I'd love to have a "real" job to fall back on when the economy is this this fucked. Just sayin'.
    I hit you up pm box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast