Coachella 09'

Thread: Coachella 09'

Tech Convert

Default Coachella 09'

so epic. is anyone going? camping out? carpooling from bay area?

I would go the 1st night to go see Morrissey, Crystal Castles and Franz...oh yeah and Felix Da Housecat....Ill skip Steve Aoki (Err)
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

Nice line up I need to choice the day carefully. Jesc you dont like steve aoki?? I hate him. May I ask why haha
    Thank Ya!!!

Tech Mentor

Ok I think friday is the winning day for me. Now... how do I get rid of steve aoki
    Thank Ya!!!

When Steve Aoki play just go to another booth or tent to check out another act.

Im not big on Aoki being that he is all about show/hype not skills or music (Mostly Beatport tracks) During his set he never has a shirt on and is trying to be like Alice Glass from Crystal Castles on top of speakers or the dj booth with a bottle of Grey Goose.

I really can hate too much on the guy, being that I would love to be a super star dj like him, but yeah I give him credit being that he has brought us alot of good indie bands.

I know a dj crew from L.A. that calls his crew "DEM WAK"

I dunno, this Coachella lineup is a little whack (Paul McCartney...seriously?).

I had two tickets to last year though, but ended up selling them because of poorly timed girl drama.

I swore I wouldn't miss it again, so yeah, I do plan to head down this year from SF, hoping they have some nice additions between now and then.

As for Steve Aoki, check out this blog post: http://beerson.me/?p=5

He bought a design from my friend's t-shirt company to use for Dim Mak, took forever to pay them for it, and accidentally CC'd them on an email calling them "annoying as fuck."

I also met Bloc Party recently, a band who's career was somewhat launched by Dim Mak. I asked them what they thought about Aoki and they were literally like "we hate the fucker, he owes us hundreds of thousands of dollars."

I think he's a good DJ and Dim Mak is a great label, but he's a really shady businessman it appears.

What pisses me off even more, he went to the same school, throwing the same parties as my friends, so he knows what it's like to be a poor college student. He was also one of two heirs to the entire Benihana restaurant franchise, which is why he used to go by "Kid Millionaire" before Steve Aoki. For someone who is so obviously loaded out his ass, he sure has trouble paying people.
    Last edited by Phil R; 01-30-2009 at 10:11 PM.

Yeah Phil I read that blog awhile back when posted it. It sucks having a bad rep about not paying people for sevice. Oh well

Tech Guru

i'd love to hit this up one day. lot's of great names on the roster i'd dig seeing

girl talk, crystal method, we are scientists, patton+rahzel, people under the stairs, peanut butter wolf, craze+klever, switch

amy winehouse, mstrkrft, michael franti+spearhead, bloody beetroots, surkin +para one, drop the lime

lupe fiasco, roni size, public enemy, groove armada, sebastien tellier, perry farrell, k'naan, brian jonestown massacre

I quit going years ago. Services are terrible, they gouge you for water, they provide hardly any shade and it's 110 degrees, the Indio police department are nazis, they oversell the venue, and I thought they jumped the shark with Madonna until this year. McCartney? Their indie cred is so far behind them they can't even see its headlights.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user