Studio Monitors again
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Studio Monitors again

Hi,

i am building a small home studio for production and need to buy monitors. Money is an issue so I am in a dilemma between 3 monitors:

KRK RP-5G2
    M Audio - Studiophile BX5a
    M- audio Studiophile AV-40

Top is the most expensive and down is the least expensive. They have 100e difference, so I am asking are they worth it? Reviews say that the av 40 are very good and also more neutral than the KRK's. So what do you think?

Love my KRKs, but haven't tried the M-Audios.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Samson Rubicon 5A's are pretty good ribbon monitors great for in the studio!

I've got a pair of Genelec 8020A's they're also fantastic such a good allround sound to them, they dont make you mixes sound better than they actual do

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the info. Are you using the krk for production or djing? Are they neutral? As for the samson they are a little out of budget for me.

just got my krks todaay will let you know
    MBP13",TSP,S4,F1,2TT,ABELTON 8 SUITE,PRO TOOLS 9.(Music Is My Solice)

I've got the KRK Rokit 6s and the M-Audio BX5as. There is no comparison - the KRKs blow away the M-Audios. The M-Audio's probably don't color the sound as much as the KRKs from a "neutral" perspective, but they are really missing a lot in the low end.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    I've got the KRK Rokit 6s and the M-Audio BX5as. There is no comparison - the KRKs blow away the M-Audios. The M-Audio's probably don't color the sound as much as the KRKs from a "neutral" perspective, but they are really missing a lot in the low end.
    Well point is to be neutral so you say that the krk do something to the sound which makes them not the ideal choice for production monitors.

I have the BX8A's.
    Went to the music store had a listen to all the ones that u mentioned, the BX8A's stole the show. Was there to get the 5 left with an 8

If you're going to get a 5 inch woofer yur going to need a sub. Sure there's some 3 inchers out there with tons of (artificial) bass but it won't hit u like bass should. Get an 8 inch, save on buying a subwoofer.

I had a sub in my practice space for a while, it's fun for kicks but u don't really need it with an 8 inch.

Get an 8. U won't be sorry.
    OSX 10.6.4 | Traktor Pro 2 | VCi-100 FW 1.4 | NI Audio 8 | Xone 92 | M Audio BX8A Deluxe

If you can find them Event Alp 5's are amazing and there are cheaper than new Rokit 5's. There not in production any more so you may be able to find them for super cheap used or on clearance.
    Attack it like a savage

15" MBP | TSP2 | Kontrol S4 | 2 Technics 1210 MK2 | Kontrol X1 | XONE XD2-53 | KRK Rokit 5s

Tech Wizard

dynaudio bm6

If your going to spend all this money on good hardware might as well get good speakers too. and if your going to get KRK, then get their VXT series

edit: moneys a issue.. recommendation stands, so other choices

used on a craigslist/ebay
    save till you can afford better speakers
    Last edited by mSolace; 05-20-2011 at 03:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast