Number of DJs in a night
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Default Number of DJs in a night

Hey guys

Got a question for ya.

A friend of mine and I are looking at running our own catch-all EDM night (Trance, House, Industrial, PsyTrance, Electro, etc.) and just try and throw something fun for people to come and dance to where they aren't gonna know what they are going to hear.

I was wondering how many DJs in one night, on one floor, is ideal for your club going, and DJ going experience? Of course I'd love to have more time to spin, and splitting the night two ways would be a good time for all involved, but to have a guest DJ would be enjoyable too.

As a quick aside, I'm spinning tomorrow night with 5 other DJs. I think I'm spinning for an hour, MAYBE an hour and 15 minutes. I'm going to go nuts with all the fucking ego's in that booth.

Anyways, I'm asking more for the mindset of the dance floor than to the "I love spinning all night long". Would you, at your parties, rather have two or three DJs, or four or five or 15? What say you?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

2 DJ's 10pm - Midnight & Midnight - Close, plus a opener if doors open @ 9 or 9:30

3 DJ work but you run into alot of tracks being repeated thru the night.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

it's all about the crowd at that point. if you're going to have all those different genres, will the genre-specific crowd be there at that point to support that sound? i wouldn't assume you'd be constantly cross-pollinating genres (psy trance into industrial into house into pill popping rave)?

How late of a night is this and do you plan on doing multiple formats in one night ?

Jack Bastard

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    2 DJ's 10pm - Midnight & Midnight - Close, plus a opener if doors open @ 9 or 9:30

3 DJ work but you run into alot of tracks being repeated thru the night.
    We're doing a gig tomorrow night and there's 4 of us from 10-5. We're all sharing the warmup cos no one wants to do it and then we get an hour and half each. Fuck anything less tbh.

Can't believe that you get a lot of tracks played repeatedly, it rarely happens with us. What do you play?

new dj every 2 hours. hands down. good to hear some new styles throughout and 2 hours gives a dj to fully perform to their potential. im hung over
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

here in L.A. most clubs start @ 9 or 9:30 and end @ 2am.

I usually listen to what the dj's before me play so I will not play the same tracks

Honestly if I went to a club to here someone play house I won't stick around if someone starts playing epic trance or some other type of music I don't care for .

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

But would you leave if you hear house and epic trance in the same set, being mixed in and out?

Chilly, I'd like to be able to do that, cause I have started to develop genre ADD and like mixing hard trance with industrial with psytrance with powernoise with house... and it works really interestingly and gives cool energy builds and drops. But I do understand that people might not be into that *shrug* and we are a service industry so it's not what I want, right?

But I don't think it would be a constant cross-polinating, instead moving in progressions (spinning Trance and slowly moving into Industrial and then pushing into Powernoise and phasing into PsyTrance) to keep the energy moving and changing.

Here in NYC most nights start at 10 and go until 4AM. If we got a really cool place we might be able to push the start to 9PM, but the close would almost always be 4.

So in 6 hours you'd think 3 or 4 DJs at most, then? I'd say 3 but I'm just looking for opinions of the people I respect
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

WOW 10 - 4 am! 3 to 4 djs would be good 10 - 12, 12 - 2, 2 - 4. Thats what I would do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast