Improvisation or Set list??? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I always have a set, but have a few interchangeable songs in terms of order, and ones to play/leave out after judging the crowd.

I very rarely play demands though, unless it's something I want/was going to play anyway. Call me stubborn, but I play what I have fun playing. I wouldn't go on stage and ask Noel Gallagher to play Parklife by Blur

Though at the start I did play a lot of requests until I got enough rep to do what I want now
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

THIS^

I search for new music everyweek, always will incorporate the new with the some great tunes from the week before or tracks that I am known for

I usually create a play list of tracks that I know I want to play, (dont always play all of them)

but the sky is the limit coz I might think of a track on the fly and throw it in,

read your crowd and most importany keep them moving read the body languange.

I played some reggae influenced house last week and they loved it, so I thru another a few tracks later coz I knew it got the dance floor moving

Improvise!
    Last edited by Johnny GTO; 05-21-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Tech Convert

I think being able to judge the audience is a skill that comes with experience. it's stuff like that that defines how professional a dj is in my mind, as an audience member.

Tech Guru

set list as a guideline, but not set in stone.

being able to improvise is a good skill, but the pay off from planning some really tight transitions/routines with fx/loops/cuepoints is worth having a bit of a roadmap to work with.

Nothing wrong with having things set in stone though. Some of the best DJs I know plan every single aspect of their set.

I've done both, and let me say. The art of DJing lies in improvisation and crowd reading. Sure, you'll fuck up your mixing a lot more, but nobody really seems to notice when the incoming track is the 'perfect' song.

Oh yeah, those guys are performers known for their technical skills rather then just being dudes who play tracks. You go to see them because you wanna see how they mix.

<3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BE2T4kZrUo

Quote Originally Posted by K.T.I.T. View Post
    I disabled the album art in the decks and have the album art column shorter than normal to save some space.
    I like this idea. I've posted at the NI forums about making "operator defined, colored cue points" which could make pre-planned AND on the fly sets easier (almost like connect by color and cue djing). Maybe that is making it more "newb", but if you're dropping cues on interesting parts or setting timed cues on tracks, why not have this feature?
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

i usually play off of a MASTER party playlist then get funky from there with any of my other playlists / dropping preplanned soundcloud releases and whatnot.

seems to work pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

My experiences have led me to this understanding:

If your playing to a crowd who is planning dancing its probably better to tailor the set to the live situation.

However, if your playing a a place that is more relaxed and have intermittent dancing going on it would be better to have several "mini sets" organized.

play 4 or 5 20 minute mixes and attempt to blend them all together seemlessly so that when someone actually pays attention to the music every 4 or 5 minutes they notice that they are wigglin' subconsciously.
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast