[OT] Clubnight Photography
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default [OT] Clubnight Photography

So tonight Nelski (Chris Lake's studio partner) is playing at my local residency as he's good mates with the head resident.

I'm planning on taking my SLR camera along (Canon 1000D) with a EFS 18-55mm lens. When ever i try and take images in dark environments such as nightclubs as the club is quite dark i just can't seem to get them to look good..

Do any of you guys take images with an SLR with no external flash? I don't use an external or the internal flash. What sort of settings shout i be looking at to be using? Its confusing me quite a bit.

I also won't be using a tripod. My main aim is to get probably still and moving images of him doing his live set but i would like to capture still images of him singing live..

Any help appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Liambo View Post
    So tonight Nelski (Chris Lake's studio partner) is playing at my local residency as he's good mates with the head resident.

I'm planning on taking my SLR camera along (Canon 1000D) with a EFS 18-55mm lens. When ever i try and take images in dark environments such as nightclubs as the club is quite dark i just can't seem to get them to look good..

Do any of you guys take images with an SLR with no external flash? I don't use an external or the internal flash. What sort of settings shout i be looking at to be using? Its confusing me quite a bit.

I also won't be using a tripod. My main aim is to get probably still and moving images of him doing his live set but i would like to capture still images of him singing live..

Any help appreciated.

Que...the Photo...to the...JoJo.

This post has been reported for quick response, cleanup on aisle 13.

Your server: Photo, to the JoJo....will be with you shortly
    Last edited by b3nz0n8; 05-21-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    ------=== ===------

Biggest aperture u hav got and. Don't be scared to bump the ISO up to Maby 3000. And try to keep the shutter speed responsive/fast. Also Maby try bracketing if u hav a steady hand.

You're going to want as large an ISO and as small an aperture as you can possibly get on that camera and lens.

Even with that, your shutter speeds are going to have to be a little slow to get decent shots, so it's going to be on you to keep the camera still.
    ------------------
    DJ Twisted Panda
    http://twistedpanda.com @jeremysexton
    Gear: Kontrol S4, Kontrol F1, MidiFighter, iPad running Lemur

Set your camera to aperture priority mode. This way, the camera will take care of all the other settings. Make sure the number in aperture mode is as low as possible. Then bump up your ISO setting to around 2000-2500. That's already pretty high, so try not to go above it. That should give you good images.
    The other option is to put it into manual mode. Set it to around a half second, and set the aperture so the light meter is a little on the negative side. You want to have it a little under developed. Then you're going to put on your flash. This should set it up so you'll catch a little bit of light trails, but freeze all the action in front of you.

a couple of guys i used to speak to before i moved used to run a longer shutter speed, so after the flash the shutter still open and all it can see is the mixer lights in the dark, then they'd move the camera about to get light trails on the pic...

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

You need a better lens also. The kit lenses on the canons are pretty bad.

Try getting a 50mm prime lens it's got a nice aperture to let a larger amount of light in.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Off the top of my head,

• If the club has lights expose for them and time your shots to where the light's on your subject.
    • If you're exposing for the club lights bring the iso back down and you're shutter speed up. Once again, good timing is mandatory.
    • You need to adjust to your subjects movements and anticipated when they're not moving to take the shot if the shutter speed is low.
    • Use the FEL lock (it's in the manual)
    • If you can use the flash turn on 2nd curtain sync and drag the shutter.
    • If you're using longer shutter speeds you'll want lower iso.
    • No offense, but you're 18-55 is crap. You can a cheap Canon 50 1.8 for around $100 I think, that's my go to basketball lens.
    • When your shooting slower shutter speeds put your elbow against your body to steady the camera.
    • If you've got any kind of polarizing filter in take it off.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I use a 50mm-1.4 for those shots, that's the only way to get somehow decent shots with using a flash.
    Otherwise you need to use a flash as indirect light- easiest way to do this:
    - Use an external flash
    - Use some kind of reflector; I used to have a white sheet of paper stuck to my flash with a rubber-band
    - Direct the flash upward so it doesn't come off too bright

That way you achieve a natural look without overexposing your photo-"subjects"

Good hunting
    I mix stuff on my things...

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Off the top of my head,

• If the club has lights expose for them and time your shots to where the light's on your subject.
    • If you're exposing for the club lights bring the iso back down and you're shutter speed up. Once again, good timing is mandatory.
    • You need to adjust to your subjects movements and anticipated when they're not moving to take the shot if the shutter speed is low.
    • Use the FEL lock (it's in the manual)
    • If you can use the flash turn on 2nd curtain sync and drag the shutter.
    • If you're using longer shutter speeds you'll want lower iso.
    • No offense, but you're 18-55 is crap. You can a cheap Canon 50 1.8 for around $100 I think, that's my go to basketball lens.
    • When your shooting slower shutter speeds put your elbow against your body to steady the camera.
    • If you've got any kind of polarizing filter in take it off.
    Total Wat I was gonna say

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast