Novation Nocturn Midi Mapping + Hardware
    Tech Wizard

Default Novation Nocturn Midi Mapping + Hardware

Came across this little piece of Novation Nocturn hardware. i specifically like how the mapping is done with its own little app
    Novation Nocturn Has anyone had any experience with their products or even that one to be specific ? and what you guys and girls think ?

I am a proud owner of a Remote SL 25, and the automap software that comes with it -which is the same as for the nocturn- absolutely rocks Good choice of controller. Its small, easy to use and damn efficient

I personally think having all those inbuilt preset switches is a bit limiting because you cant design how they work to suit your own tastes.

However if you like the way how the page functions work then thats ok.

The only other problem with the unit is that the rotaries feel pretty aweful...

Edit: oh and the crossfader is too stiff - only any good for smooth transitions and useless for quick cuts
    Last edited by BentoSan; 02-02-2009 at 03:39 AM.

yes- its great for effects but overall not that great of a controller- ditto on everything bento said:

rotaries are unpredictable in nature and dont work so well. The auto map software is buggy and basically sucks. The cross fader is no good for cuts.

Tech Wizard

thx for the insight on their product and software.. buggy scares me a lot, i guess ill give it a miss and find a better controller to expand my vci 300 setup.

I love my nocturn personally... Not had a problem with the software at all, and it is particularly useful with VSTs/FX in Ableton.

It does have a reasonably stiff x-fader, but i'm not bothered by that as it's not the use i have for it - for me it's my swiss-army knife controller. VCI-100 for the main stuff, this for anything else that needs doing.. The endless rotaries are a bonus (I wish that the VCI would incorporate a few of these).

For the cost, IMO its brilliant.
    Save money on binoculars - Simply move closer to the object you intend to view!

Another problem is that the endless rotaries dont send rotary data - the software makes this a bit less painful but there are still limitations that this puts in place.

I didnt find the software to be buggy on my pc system but that didnt stop me from disliking the approach the automap software has taken - its missing alot of functionality.

The touch sensitive knobs were a nice touch, but the software doesnt let that send any midi messages so your at a loss if you wanted to use that functionality in anything musical.

Tech Wizard

Yea I liked the touch sensitive aspect of it too but im a bigger fan of sliders as opposed to knobs, so far ive had no luck of a midi controller that has touch pads and sliders in a single unit.

Have you guys come across anything similar to the 2 Korg Nanos in a single unit?