How to mix songs with no intro?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default How to mix songs with no intro?

Ive been looking everywhere for this anwser can anyone give me any tips or owt. What i got so far is use dj friendly edits but most the tracks i wanna play has no edits and i dont no how to make them also if i loop the instrumental part it just sounds rubbish cuz of the melodys and some tracks aint even got any instrumental to it.

please help thanks

This at least holds true in hip hop, but normally tracks have an outro that would fit the track as an intro. You can make edits with this, or simply loop the end of the track for a while and mix that way. Another way that I use is to use something that people identify with like the chorus. I used this with Party and Bullshit by BIG, where there is literally no good intro, so I used the chorus, which almost everybody knows, cued it up and used that to lead into the mix. From the chorus, I just mixed to the beginning of the first verse. Those are just the techniques that I use. Do you have a specific song in mind? If so, I could help you a bit better.
    MacBook Pro 13" 8GB RAM | Traktor Kontrol S4 | 2x Technics 1200Mk5 TTs | Yamaha Motif ES8 | M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 Controller | M-Audio Audiophile AV 30/40 Speakers | Pioneer HDJ-2000 | MIDI Fighter |

http://soundcloud.com/fullkontrol

Cut it in at the right time instead of trying to mix over. Not every transition has to be a mix. If a song jumps right into the chorus, find a good place where that will fit and slam it over. Even cooler if the vocals start on the 2 instead of the 1, depending how the outgoing song sounds (I think it's the Outkast Scooby Do song I used to do that with; fun stuff). Or if the outgoing song has an outro but there's no intro, mix the chorus over the outro. It really depends on the specific songs like Yep says above -- there are all kinds of possibilities but there's no way to tell which will work without listening to what you're working with.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Convert

say if i wanted to mix r kelly number 1 sex into pretty ricky grind with me this is just a example of some of the probs i often find with chart songs. i prob wouldnt mix these but anyway the versions i got the pretty ricky track fades out after the chorus while the r kelly goes into talk. is there anyway i could make my own extended intro with just the beats to skip the talk then drop it into the chrous? do you know any software thats easy to use also is there any vids i could watch cuz this helps me out more. i could get away with just dropping the track in, i know that but who wants to hear someone talking it would be much better if it goes straight into the chrous

Tech Convert

the reason i bring this up is cuz if i wanted to mix half way through the pretty ricky track it would be stupid to do it cuz it will cut the song out and go straight into talk and sound rubbish lol

get an instrumental version and splice the intro beats in one track and "glue" the rest of the track into it.... skipping all the gay shit. and thats why i love ableton (or any DAW).

its like a kindergarten music and art class combined.... with computers
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Guru

scratch and cut over

echo out / delay freeze

power down

slam it in
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

a lot depends on where you are djing, some nights I don't mix once, its all scratch cut, scratch drop, drop, crossfader slam etc.

Other nights i can actually mix, scratch in new tracks, etc..all depends.

Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer

With dj software and instant doubles this really isnt an issue. You could mix into the hook after the first verse and just play verse two and three... you could also mix into the outro of the song, pull up instant double on the outgoing tracks deck then mix the intro-less section over the top of the outro... mix into the instrumental then mix the vocal version in over the instrumental. You could also mix into a remix that might have an intro to mix into then mix into the original version. As stated before, there are lots of ways to accomplish this.

I don't think "dj edits" or ableton is necessary to do something you can just do live.

Tech Convert

thanks for the advice, im gonna try and bit abit more creative rather than just tryna beatmatch everything its hard to keep things smooth though but i surpose thats comes down to practice and experience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast