Is it ever good to do this?

Default Is it ever good to do this?

I been working on a technique that is basically to play 1 track almost all the way through then the next skips the break down to keep the energy flowing into the next track after that which I only do with 2 songs in the same key.

I started to think mixing with the breakdowns to be a bit long and boring after a while and didnt carry the energy of the mix for long and would be like bursts of it
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

If it works, then why not?
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

You could use the breakdown to introduce the next track at a point where there's a lot of energy, so the energy stays up, then let it break down every so often.

I think all performance art has to have this rise and fall. The energetic parts are only energetic in contrast to the lulls, so I wouldn't go an entire set without use a breakdown, but just do them much more sparingly to cut down on the start/stop feel you mentioned.

I mix mostly hip hop, pop, and some more mainstream type house/electronic and so the lows for me are the hip hop sections and I'll use transitions to rise and fall between the different tempos to create that rising and falling motion.

So, yeah, I think it's definitely alright to do that. :-)
    ------------------
    DJ Twisted Panda
    http://twistedpanda.com @jeremysexton
    Gear: Kontrol S4, Kontrol F1, MidiFighter, iPad running Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPanda View Post
    You could use the breakdown to introduce the next track at a point where there's a lot of energy, so the energy stays up, then let it break down every so often.

I think all performance art has to have this rise and fall. The energetic parts are only energetic in contrast to the lulls, so I wouldn't go an entire set without use a breakdown, but just do them much more sparingly to cut down on the start/stop feel you mentioned.

I mix mostly hip hop, pop, and some more mainstream type house/electronic and so the lows for me are the hip hop sections and I'll use transitions to rise and fall between the different tempos to create that rising and falling motion.

So, yeah, I think it's definitely alright to do that. :-)
    Yeah I still add in breakdowns but having them like in every 3-4 minute intervals and have them last 1.5 - 2.5 minutes seems a tad bit overkill.
    It started to sound like
    "WOOO DANCE TIME and then stoooooop then dance for a few minutes then stooop then again"
    But this way it 's like
    WOOO dance dance dance dance rest dance dance dance ect.
    The energy seems to last in a good way and then has those resting moments.

I cant explain for shit
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

This is a bit genre dependent too. It works well in electro, and I tend to use fewer breakdowns with electro, but with house breakdowns tend to break up the monotony a bit which is useful to prevent listener boredom.