2 10.00%
  • 15" MBP

13 65.00%
  • 13" MBP and 19" LCD

5 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default help me decide on a laptop

So i need a laptop as mine is slowly dying and I need some help deciding.

my choices are:

15" Dell with an I7, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, 1920*1080

15" Macbook pro I5, 4GB, 128GB SSD or 500GB HDD, 1680*1050

13" Macbook pro I5, 4GB, 128GB SSD or 500GB HD, 1280*800 and a 19" monitor for at home

I am leaning towards the mac even though they have less power because most people say that it is the only way to fix the crackles that you get with a windows computer.
    Would you rather have a 15" screen all the time or a 19" screen for at home and a smaller more portable laptop to carry around with you?

Tech Student

I had a 15" MBP before you could get a 13" one and I much prefer my 13", but that's just down to my personal use. It's a nicer size on your lap and when I'm at my desk I use a monitor so it's not an issue, but at the same time a lot more portable when it needs to be.

Tech Wizard

size wise i 13'' is awesome! but power wise i would invest in a little more power and buy a monitor if need be later down the line! i have a 13'' inch and although i love it, sometimes i'm finding myself toping the cpu and ram!

If you like working with Windows and you can do the research to figure out whether that Dell works with audio stuff…you might be able to get slightly better hardware for a similar price.

If you don't specifically like working with Windows and/or you don't know how to do the research, using the Apple with OS X will give you better results…as long as you don't specifically dislike OS X.

I–for one–will never go back to Windows. I'd go 100% hardware before I'd go back to Windows. I'm not even happy about having to use it at work…everything takes so much longer. Well…not everything. But the things that don't are the things I could do with a chromebook.

And I always like smaller screens on laptops. I'd get a 12" if I could. Big laptops just piss me off and are harder to carry. But i'd love to have a 24" display at home.

OT - Fucking chromebooks. What's the point if I can get a higher spec computer with an actual OS for a lower price? Thaaa fuuurk man. I was well looking forward to them and all.

AND BACK AGAIN. Do you like windows? Dell. Do you like Mac OS? Mac. Simple.

acer... mines been perfect so far, and it's over 4 years old now

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Wizard

I have never used OSX before so I don't really know if I like it or not. I consider myself to be fairly computer literate so I don't think I will have trouble adapting, especially since it is supposed to "just work". I have never even considered buying a mac until my current dell laptop has started dying and the crackling with my S4 is pissing me off. The price is to high and you can't play many games on them so it was never an option.
    But I don't play computer games anymore and I can afford it now so I think that a 15" MBP will be my next computer.

Tech Mentor

you wont be disappointed with the mbp, you can always get a virtual box if windows is needed for something. shouldn't be a problem setting that up for you
    Xone 42, 12x0 mk2, Adam Audio Monitors and Sub

If you describe yourself as "computer literate," then you probably won't care about 90% of what I think makes OS X better than windows and almost as good as linux. But, I'm weird.

I like linux because I'm a sucker for punishment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast