why an analogue mixer???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default why an analogue mixer???

G'day DJTT i've got a question...
    I see people on here with a vci 100, audio 8 or something similar and an analogue mixer. why would they buy an analogue mixer when you can mix on the vci100 and how would you mix with one digital master source???
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

Tech Wizard

You can put traktor in external mode, which will allow multiple outputs.

He said why not how.

I for one prefer analogue mixers as I feel they have a much better tactility and feel than midi controllers in similar price brackets. That and the headphone section pretty much always laid out more comfortably.

Some people say it sounds better... I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I'm leaning towards believing that it does though it could just be my love of mixers making me think it sounds better.

Some people want to free up their faders and such on their midi controller for controlling effects.

Also it's flexible. Say you have a friend who wants to jam with you on another controller - no worries, put the master out of both into your analogue mixer. You can add a microphone easily for MCing or whatever. You also find an analogue mixer really useful just to have around - like if you want to rip some old vinyl, it's bound to have a gain stage so you can output a line-level signal; if you want to do a web radio show etc it is always hand to have the flexibility that a small mixer gives your set-up - even if it lives in a drawer half the time.
    I blog at: Digital DJ Tips and I'm on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook

Tech Mentor

Some people prefer the sound of an analogue mixer.

Flexibility is also an issue, as is a range of outputs (Main, Booth, Record & Headphone for instance).

Ability to have other sources / units available (Mics, F/X units, Drum Machines) without using the Universally Sh*t Bus is another plus.

At the end of the day, it just looks _way_ cooler. And that's what DJing is all about, innit?
    Last edited by ellgieff; 05-24-2011 at 02:21 AM.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

Wait, is this about analogue mixers or about external mixers (also digital ones) in general?

I guess digital ones too. Sall the same jazz in practice isn't it?

Tech Mentor

thanks guys if i can get some money together i'll try get one and if i dont like it i'll just sell it.
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Morse View Post
    Also it's flexible. Say you have a friend who wants to jam with you on another controller - no worries, put the master out of both into your analogue mixer. You can add a microphone easily for MCing or whatever. You also find an analogue mixer really useful just to have around - like if you want to rip some old vinyl, it's bound to have a gain stage so you can output a line-level signal; if you want to do a web radio show etc it is always hand to have the flexibility that a small mixer gives your set-up - even if it lives in a drawer half the time.
    This
    I mix on the VCI and route master and cue through the mixer. Means I can plug my cans into a good heavy mixer not a light little soundcard that I tend to drag around when dancing about.
    Also, Gives me more control when patching into my compressor, x-over, amp rack etc

Tech Wizard

Lack of readily available EQ cuts, shiny signal strength LEDs (on most controllers) and close to inoperable A&H filter effects. I'm a sucker for them.

And I've always felt that there is a latency when mixing with midi, that is not felt in the same way when just performing transport controls. That delay really puts me off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast