Vestax vci 100 or Traktor S4
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Vestax vci 100 or Traktor S4

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, I done a search on the forum and couldn't find anything.

I am looking to get a new controller, but can not decide between the VCI 100 or the S4. I already have an Akai LPD8 and a X1.

Anyone got any advice.

Thanks in advance.

i had a vestax vci-100, i had a pair of X1's and i opted to sell all and get the S4 as i wanted to just have 1 controller. If you come from a cdj background you will appreciate the jogs on the s4 more than the vci in my opinion anyway, i know i prefer the s4 ones all day long. I also found that the mapping that DJTT had done for the vci amazing, i also found it sometimes awkward with lots of buttons doing different things with the shift key, whereas the S4 is i think very straight forward. Also i now have one usb to plug in whereas i had 4 when i had the vci as there was the 2 x1's the vci and then the soundcard too. Im glad i made the change but i dont think id have got the s4 if i hadnt have got the vci and x1's 1st, just made me realise that the s4 was what i needed
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

plus its made for tp2 and tsp2 with the sample banks etc, the loop recorder everything is just there in front of you, if i was to buy anything else it would be a midi-fighter to sit along side my S4...
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

yeah what I want is one thing that does everything, pressing shift all the time gets frustrating. The akais a neat little midi, but the way you have to change from one preset to another gets really confusing.

The S4 looks the better of the two, but it's a lot more expensive.

it is, but in my opinion its a far better solution than the vci. And i found mixing 4 decks a right pain in the arse on the vci with it only actually being 2 channel, whereas the s4 is 4 channel and have no probs with that. My set up now is like the most simple its been ever, my macbook and my s4 and that it haha.. sometimes less is more

so say if i was just playing two decks would the vci suffice. I like the look of the sample deck on the s4. im running traktor scratch pro, i dont think that has the sample deck function does it ?

no its tsp2 that has the sample decks. The vci is great for running 2 decks, like i said just depends on if your going to be syncing or manually beat matching, i found the jog wheels shit for manual beat matching on the vci whereas the ones on the s4 are a hell of a lot better and more like cdjs, so depends on where u come from i suppose and what u wanna do

Its just for playing round with loops an editing on the fly at home, so using sync doesnt bother me. Ive done all me beatmatching when I was playing vinyls, want to leave that behind and do something a bit more creative. However I could always set up dvs, and if i did that I would just need a midi mixer instead of a full set up, wouldn't I. Any ideas on a good mixer.

Tech Mentor

I would get the S4. The VCI is nearly at the end of its life cycle : ( However there's gonna be a tremendous amount of support/mappings for the S4 on DJTT and from NI. I would personally get the S4, but both are great pieces of gear (:

Quote Originally Posted by Wala View Post
    I would get the S4. The VCI is nearly at the end of its life cycle : ( However there's gonna be a tremendous amount of support/mappings for the S4 on DJTT and from NI. I would personally get the S4, but both are great pieces of gear (:
    I have to politely disagree, VCI has a big following, and is still supported by DJTT
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast