Running TT's through an Audio 4 with no laptop connected?

Default Running TT's through an Audio 4 with no laptop connected?

I've recently been granted access to my savings (just turned 18 woohoo) and i've been seriously considering a set of technics, because i have a large collection of vinyl that my dad has given to me and i've also really wanted a set for ages, though i wanted to know would it be possible to use DVS, and if i wanted to just put on a piece of vinyl and it would play it through?

also if i wanted to say, listen to a piece of vinyl, but had no laptop connected would i have to remove my A4 from the series?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I'm not all that sure about playing through, but the A4 is powered through the USB so I would imagine it would need to be plugged into the computer. You could run a splitter out of each jack on the TT and have one go to the A4 the other to you'r amp or a receiver.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

The A4 is a (sexy looking) brick without a computer.

Tech Guru

just plug into whatever mixer your using or right off the tt to the reciever......the rumor is, there was a time when audio interfaces didnt exist and people used to have to do it like this all the time.

Tech Mentor

I'm guessing the Audio 4 works similarly to the Audio 8 (just with less I/O), and also assuming TSP.

With the NI Multicore cables, you can run DVS (obv.) which uses the line-level inputs on your mixer. This needs the soundcard to be plugged into the USB, and (again, obv) TSP to be running.

From memory, if you switch the mixer channel to the phono inputs it bypasses the soundcard entirely, and you can play vinyl to your heart's content. You can even play the timecode vinyl, it just doesn't sound that interesting.

*And suddenly I'm worried my memory doesn't work the way it should, so I have to check this out again when I get home. Damn you, work, getting in the way of playing other people's records!*

*edit* The other thing about the multicore cables is that the turntable outputs are as easily accessible as the back of the mixer, so taking the soundcard out of the chain isn't that difficult. Still more of a pain than chaning the line/phono switch, but.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

Yeah you nailed it ellgieff
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Oh okay i wasnt sure whether it directly went though or not or i'd have to remove the A4 from the chain, thank you