mixing 120 bpm into 90 bpm - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by buckwilder View Post
    I'm a fan of the occasional autobounce, but it does sound like your mixing a tune in from the future.
    haha i can see where you're coming from. You can get pretty smooth with it but I still would catagorize it as a hard drop, and like you, I wouldnt include it more than twice max in a full set cause i feel it loses it's appeal any more than that.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by weltraumpapst View Post
    how do you actually use it to get for example from dubstep to dnb?
    i'm always eager to learn new mixing techniques
    I don't mix dub or dnb. I dj at general bars/ clubs and transition a lot from hip-hop to dance to reggae to pop etc... This might still be usefull...litterally just made it right now for an example [ame="http://www.zshare.net/audio/906322874ad22255/"]zSHARE - 2011-05-26_13h28m32.mp3[/ame]

I just assign an endless encoder to my Traktor master tempo control... then I mix the tunes during a breakdown and gradually increase/decrease the tempo... works okay for breakbeat into dnb

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    I don't mix dub or dnb. I dj at general bars/ clubs and transition a lot from hip-hop to dance to reggae to pop etc... This might still be usefull...litterally just made it right now for an example zSHARE - 2011-05-26_13h28m32.mp3
    nice. thanks

so you basically freeze the outgoing track and autobounce the new track in, if i heard correctly..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

could always ploop as well

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by weltraumpapst View Post
    nice. thanks

so you basically freeze the outgoing track and autobounce the new track in, if i heard correctly..
    yea that time i did. I'll do a turntable brake or a micro roll insead of a freeze at times. Listening to that again my levels and timing werent perfect. That wasn't clean enough for me to use on a demo, but ok for a club and certainly a good enough example.

Tech Student

I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled upon it through Google.

Check out Tim Exile's track "Family Galaxy" for a fun way of doing this trick reversed (transition from 90 to 120 bpm.)

Link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKHEyUIErEk

Quote Originally Posted by martskre View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled upon it through Google.

Check out Tim Exile's track "Family Galaxy" for a fun way of doing this trick reversed (transition from 90 to 120 bpm.)

Link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKHEyUIErEk
    Sorry but to me that sounded crap. I really think what u are doing is cool, but I dont think it is practical in a set unless it was practiced or ore prepared. I love what u are doing though.
    If I am going up in bpm I will usually use a reverb and a high pass or peak filter and if I am going down it would be like am ice verb and echo freeze. And then drop on the one.
    In a big breakdown I will sometimes mash them together. Like and use the slicer (Mr decalised mapping) and chop up the beat, or use th beat masher or slicer and bit crusher or formant filter or something like that. Also armyofone's drama sweep effect works will when going down, esspecally if a is going into a breakdown while the other track is building up.

Tech Mentor

1) Sync Tempos.
    2) Slow Track A down to around 105, cut bass, and drop a 1 beat loop from Track B.
    3) When getting close to 90 BPM, drop deck B into a half beat loop, then quarter, etc.
    4) at -2 before the downbeat, cut deck A, and drop a drum hit + vocal break sample
    5) Hit the downbeat of track B.
    6) ????
    7) Profit

Takes a little prep and practice but is extremely effective and can be used multiple times without sounding repetitive.

Another, much easier method - use it sparingly:
    1) Do NOT sync deck B. Instead, beat juggle the track during the outro.
    2) As soon as deck A ends, use a filter or echo freeze and mash the downbeat of deck B, speeding up over the course of a second or two.
    3) Reach a peak and then slow it down until you are repeating the downbeat at the original track tempo.
    4) Release the downbeat at the right time.

I don't know about ya'll, but sometimes when I'm mixing I wish I had more hands.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast