mixing 120 bpm into 90 bpm - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    I just assign an endless encoder to my Traktor master tempo control... then I mix the tunes during a breakdown and gradually increase/decrease the tempo...
    This, if you want to do it live. Otherwise, it's probably best to use a pre prepared edit. This will certainly be the most seamless and cleanest sounding transition if there is a sizeable bpm difference, as there are certainly programs out there that will handle more extreme time stretching with better quality preservation than traktors native timestretch algorithm...

This is a good example of how the OP mentioned having 3 beats of one tempo being equal to 4 beats of another. This track transitions using the same principal. If i remember correctly it moves between 174 and 130 through the breakdown, utilising a 3/4 time signature at 130 which directly correlates to a standard 4/4 buildup at 174

I don't think there is anything wrong with a pre-made edit, they require plenty of skill to be done to a professional degree. Conversely, in my experience crowds won't be freaked out if you transition between any two tempos as long as you utilise points where there is nothing to highlight the tempo of either track. Given a few bars worth of no discernible tempo, your brain will adjust to a new one without any weirdness...

i made this mixtape where i jump from 140bpm to 170bpm to 186bpm to 93bpm to 100bpm to 110bpm and back up to 174bpm in about 30 minutes. starting at minute 22:00 (just if someone is interested.)

i don´t post this mix out of promotional reasons!

I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345