I have a crossfader effect idea...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default I have a crossfader effect idea...

I was just reading the new Torq review and whilst digesting the crossfader effect part I had an idea!
    Now, how's about using the gater on both tracks when the crossfader is moving from one track to the other except the gate is the opposite for each deck!?
    I'm curious how this would sound. I'm also lost as to how this can be instigated as Traktor will lock the gate to the bpm for both decks and thus the alternate gate won't happen!
    Any thoughts folks? It'd probably make a nice mix effect but I don't know if it's even possible to do in traktor!
    [Traktor Pro 2] [Kontrol S4] [2x Midi Fighters]
    [Macbook Pro 2.4GHz 2008 - 4GB RAM]
    [Mac OS 10.7.1]
    I found a picture of me playing on vinyl many, many moons ago and it got me thinking.........

You might have more joy with the single group effect Beatmasher. It has a gate knob and also a rotation knob so you may be able to insert silence at the beginning or one decks loop and silence at the end of the other. Might be worth a try?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

I think gater effect is more or less like an autocrossfader type effect.

So if you had the gater at the same parameters on both sides I think it would either cancel out all sound or cancel out all the effect.

Maybe having two gators with different paramaters may work. I think the audio would be too chopped up to sound good. A lot of the times I feel this away about effects.
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

I know what he's getting at. He means gating both tracks with the same satting (say 1/8 beat) and then off-setting the start of one of the tracks so that ther is a constant stream of music, but alternating between the tracks at 1/8 beat intervals.

I've tried it before. Didn't sound great...

Tech Guru

can you just assign the same gate effec to both decks and then just transition tracks?
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Actually sounds the opposite - you could just skip the gater and go back and forth with the crossfader. Since you'll have the fader on the other end each time the gater shuts, you're basically circumventing what the gater is doing with the crossfader. Then it's just cutting back and forth between tracks -- could sound cool or sound a mess depending on the tracks. But it's basically cancelling the gater out.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Guru

Hopefully NI takes note of the steps they have taken in Avid 2.0 and tries to build on effects like they have created. It really is very forward thinking and maybe the only thing I liked about Avid 2.0.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Quote Originally Posted by bartboy View Post
    Hopefully NI takes note of the steps they have taken in Avid 2.0 and tries to build on effects like they have created. It really is very forward thinking and maybe the only thing I liked about Avid 2.0.
    I hope they don't. Lots of other features I'd prefer they focus on than more gimmicky effects o_o;

Quote Originally Posted by dafe View Post
    I hope they don't. Lots of other features I'd prefer they focus on than more gimmicky effects o_o;
    agree, and when it can be mapped by user, why bother putting work into a gimmick?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    agree, and when it can be mapped by user, why bother putting work into a gimmick?

Word

There are enough effect scams going on as it is. haha
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast