Speaker connections
    Tech Mentor

Default Speaker connections

Hi DJTT guys! You guys have been real helpful over the past few months, got a couple of questions though.

Im looking to purchase a pair of KRK Rokit 5's and a Kontrol S4, and this is mainly regarding the KRK Rokit 5's.

1. For Speakers and laptop only,

If occasionally i want to use the KRK's by themself as casual speakers with my laptop only, how would i go about this? I assume i would use a RCA Y cable to 3.5mm which connects to my laptop? Red to my left speaker and white for my right, forming a Y shape from both speakers to my laptop?Therefore only 1 such cable is required? Don't know if u understand what im asking.

2. For speakers, laptop, and s4, and casual listening when not mixing

Would it be possible to run my laptop thru the s4 into the speakers via either Deck C or D line inputs? i saw the "thru" on deck D for s4, so i guess i would put it to deck D's "thru" if i was to connect it to my laptop to bypass the s4? and what cables would i be using?

I have a few questions regarding this though, would my s4 need to be powered on? and would the traktor programme need to be on? or would it go directly, from the laptop, thru the s4's AI and into the Rokit 5's?

Sorry for the noobness and hope u understand the questions. Its quite confusing i know. Thanks for the help!

Tech Mentor

bumps guys? i know its confusing and all. sorry!

1. yes.

2. You can do several things, with the S4 plugged in you can use it as your OS soundcard if you want, bypassing Traktor. Don't leave this enabled when mixing though. Just select the S4 as your sound device in the OS audio settings and enable the appropriate output channels.

Alternatively you could indeed run an audio cable from your laptop's headphone jack into an input on the S4, change the deck into direct thru mode and select those inputs for that deck in input routing. That's pretty damn complicated though, i'd just use the S4 soundcard if you're not mixing.

I use my Audio 2 as my OS soundcard most of the time so I don't have to fuck around with too many cables every time I want to use Traktor/not.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the reply fullenglishpint! Just got my set of Rokit 5's today. Awesome stuff.

So i'll just need to set the S4 as my sound device in my laptop OS ya? would my s4 need to be powered on? or can i leave it off?

For connecting my S4 to my speakers i'll need 2 seperate TRS 1/4" balanced cables for left and right respectively right?

Would it be advisable to have more then 1 input connection at the same time connected to the speakers (with only 1 connection active at any time obviously ) or can i just leave the RCA cables and TRS connected at any time? Just trying to take care of my gear.

The S4 will need to be plugged in by USB, which should be enough to power it.

Yes, you'll need 2 TRS cables.

There shouldn't be any problem having 2 inputs connected, but as you said, don't use them both at once!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Tech Mentor

ahh ya, but would i need to manually turn the s4 on if i wanna use it as my soundcard? or can it be left off?

There shouldn't be any problem having 2 inputs connected, but as you said, don't use them both at once!
    yupyup. but, now im tempted to try it to c wat happens hahahaha

pretty sure you would have to turn it on. But it's just one button dude

Tech Mentor

true that. sorry for bumping this thread up. but, thanks alot fullenglishpint for ur help! much appreciated!

no worries dude.