Mixing in quiet places? Aka at home, late at night?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Mixing in quiet places? Aka at home, late at night?

I know its kind of a strange question.

Do any of you actually practice/mix in quiet places such as your house/apartment late at night as others are sleeping? I'm curious if anyone has issues with limited time to play out loud in their own spaces. I know that trying to mix on a lower volume doesn't allow for great transitions as you can't hear certain sounds.
    MBP & a i5-2500k/asus p8p67 pro/8gb (1600mhz)ram/ Win7 x64 - Kontrol S4 - KRK 5s

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I hardly take my cans off when playing, so it's hardly a problem for me since I don't need external monitoring.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    I hardly take my cans off when playing, so it's hardly a problem for me since I don't need external monitoring.
    Are you basically just flicking the headphones from cue to 50/50 cue/monitor then to full monitor/out?
    MBP & a i5-2500k/asus p8p67 pro/8gb (1600mhz)ram/ Win7 x64 - Kontrol S4 - KRK 5s

When it's nice and late, I used to try to mix, but it just isn't as productive and as you said, the transitions generally suck. Late at night I like to work on potential sets, or run songs through Mixed in key and get some good harmonic mixing sets. If I want to hear how a mix will sound, I just use my headphones, hit sync and quantize to emulate a good beatmatch and use my keyboard and the software's crossfader. If I really have the need to mix, I have a neighbor when I'm back home in SF with a full on studio who is an insomniac. Chat him on facebook, ask to come over and mix in his studio.
    MacBook Pro 13" 8GB RAM | Traktor Kontrol S4 | 2x Technics 1200Mk5 TTs | Yamaha Motif ES8 | M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 Controller | M-Audio Audiophile AV 30/40 Speakers | Pioneer HDJ-2000 | MIDI Fighter |

http://soundcloud.com/fullkontrol

Depending on your mixer, you can pan your cueing to one side. Keep the main out in both sides of your headphones, and cue at a lower volume level in one side...

luckily next year I will be able to mix at whatever time of the day I please since my friends and I are getting a 6 bedroom apartment. It is a duplex and my friend and I who play/produce music are up there in the two bedrooms which means I can pretty much blast music all day without anyone getting annoyed. Worst comes to worst I can head it down to the basement and mix since we're building a DJ booth and doing a whole set up.

Right now I usually have to stop playing by 12:00 AM, sometimes 11.

I usually only mix at night with my family asleep. I keep the monitors on low and generally just use headphones to hear how things are really sounding. mind you this is all just messing around with songs and nothing serious.

if no one complains, fuck it

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    luckily next year I will be able to mix at whatever time of the day I please since my friends and I are getting a 6 bedroom apartment. It is a duplex and my friend and I who play/produce music are up there in the two bedrooms which means I can pretty much blast music all day without anyone getting annoyed. Worst comes to worst I can head it down to the basement and mix since we're building a DJ booth and doing a whole set up.

Right now I usually have to stop playing by 12:00 AM, sometimes 11.
    Thats what I need.. basically the GF isn't into my music.. so even playing at a decent time of night is hard. I generally wait till shes out or whatever. Other times my upstairs neighbor is an issue as well. Daytime and weekends are my best bets to play loud.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Publicservice View Post
    I usually only mix at night with my family asleep. I keep the monitors on low and generally just use headphones to hear how things are really sounding. mind you this is all just messing around with songs and nothing serious.
    I guess its all dependent on the layout of your home. With mine, my walls seem to be a bit thin even if my bedroom and living space (where my setup is) are on opposite ends of the apartment. Sound travels well

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast