chosing ram upgrade, macbook pro
    Tech Wizard

Default chosing ram upgrade, macbook pro

I just recently received my new macbook pro 15" and would like to upgrade my ram from the 4gb to 8. Was wondering if anyone has done this and if so which brand of ram you used and where you bought it from. I saw mushkin ram on Newegg.com and corsair on Amazon.com. Thanks for any recommendations.

Tech Mentor

Can't give you any specifics on that, but are you sure you need 8gb? Unless you know that certain usage requires it, you won't notice any speed improvement. It is never advisable to upgrade RAM when you don't really need it, because it drops in price very quickly.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I prefer Kingston sticks. Running fine with a pair of 4gb - 1333Hz

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the advice, i don't really need the ram for DJing so much as I do for using it with my architectural design programs and running parallels.

Here's what I put into my 2011 MacBook Pro 15", and I highly recommend it:

Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 HyperX Plug n Play Laptop Memory Model KHX1600C9S3P1K2/8G

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0C9S3P1K2%2f8G

It runs at 1600Hz instead of the stock 1333Hz, so it's a little faster than the stock memory. It is one of the few brands/models that properly advertises its speed to the Sandy Bridge chipset so that the extra speed is automatically configured when installed.

would you notice the difference between 4gb and 8gb of ram in a macbook if you just use it for traktor and general computing? sorry to hijack
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Tech Mentor

As I said earlier, most definitely not. The only 'mainstream' reasons for having more than 4gb ram are photo/video/3D-stuff.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Corsair and OCZ are both well known and solid quality, at least on the PC side.

Tech Mentor

As long as the company is genuine, every 1333Mhz DDR3 SoDIMM module is fine. There is virtually no difference between different brands - save maybe for the special 'gaming memory' modules which you don't need anyway.

Just buy the cheapest you can find from a trustworthy seller. 1600MHz modules may give you a slight performance boost btw!

Tech Wizard

Def Considering the Kingston Hypers. I will be doing 3d modeling so the performance boost is a much needed!