Dilemma; Computer VS S4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Dilemma; Computer VS S4

Well, next week is my birthday, and as a present, I have $2000 to spend freely!

I can either replace my crap computer that I bought 8 years ago, or buy a Traktor S4, some headphones, and a midi-fighter! But I don't know which one to pick!

Tough decision for me since I love to play games on my 2008 Black Macbook, till suddenly all the new games seemed to surpass the minimum requirements.

My Desktop spec:
    Windows XP
    1 GB of RAM
    Freezes 24/7

My Macbook spec:
    10.5.8 OSX
    2.4 GHZ, Intel Core Duo
    4GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM

Also, I have never DJed in my life!
    Thanks ^^

With the specs of your black macbook, I would keep that thing and use that to control your new S4!
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinoize View Post
    "Hey bro, you got any Skrillex? How about Deadmaufive?"
    http://www.mixcloud.com/robindore/

£2000 fuck me thats a lot of money for ur birthday. Obivously a loty of people in here are going to tell you to buy the s4, where all tech heads, and you say you have never djed before.

My advice would be to try and see if you can have a little play round with some djing equipment, and see if you really want to spend all that money. ( a decent music shop should be able to help you with this. )

DJing can be a really expensive hobby, its not as bad now with mp3s, but when it was vinyl. Fuck me it cost me a small fortune.

I cant see how you can't afford a new comp and a decent controller for £2000, if your just starting you dont need the best. The vestax vci 100 is almost half the price of the s4, and should have more than any beginner needs on it.

It's $2000.

Your Mac is fine. Should run Traktor fine for a good while yet. I'd personally get the S4 because it's easy to setup, and with the jog wheels can teach you a lot about DJing. I'd give the MIDIfighter a miss until you find you can't do without it.

And yeah, get some 'phones.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Convert

I have the same macbook and it never gave me problems using any traktor config.

And srsly, forget about playing... games... +200% time for everything else

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Personally if I had 2k to blow .. I would get.

1. Refurb macbook pro 13' with 4 gigs ram (try to get the last model, better graphics card for games.)
    2. S/H S4
    3. Decent Headphones.

Sell ur existing Blackbook for whatever u can get for it ($400ish probably)

And I'd honestly learn the fundamentals of DJ'ing before splashing more cash on a midi fighter just yet. I still dont get the attraction of them, but depends on the style of music much as anything else.

i would pay 30 $ to get snow leopard first, just this will make your computer feel like a new one, if you want even more power, invest in a ssd drive, and your computer will be blazin fast for any djing related task (maybe even gaming if you install a windows partition to play).
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Weirdly, I stopped playing games when I started DJing.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Weirdly, I stopped playing games when I started DJing.
    hehe, me too.

Quote Originally Posted by oneapemob View Post
    i would pay 30 $ to get snow leopard first, just this will make your computer feel like a new one, if you want even more power, invest in a ssd drive, and your computer will be blazin fast for any djing related task (maybe even gaming if you install a windows partition to play).
    agreed! SSD ftw
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast