Alcohol Theory

Thread: Alcohol Theory

Tech Wizard

Default Alcohol Theory

First of all, the page timed out and I had a nice lengthy post. I lost it and my train of thought. So I'll keep it short.

I volunteered at a bar a couple Fridays ago and got called back the next day due to an increase in alcohol consumption.

I have a theory that patrons consume more based on the genre being played, and quite possibly songs containing alcohol references. I'm sure most of you already try to size up the crowd in order to keep them entertained, but in these tough times, we need to salitify our worth to club owners by selling their booze too.

I don't care what genre it is, but please reply with what songs you would consider adding to an alcohol playlist. I would also consider songs containing sexual connotations, because the fellas will take the last drink of their liquid courage, prior to engaging a female, only to need a refill.

Alcoholic References

Ludacris - One more drink ft. T-Pain
    Kanye - Drunk and Hot girls
    T-Pain - Tipsy
    T-Pain - Bartender
    T.I. - Whatever you like (Reference to Patron, and that shit aint cheap $$)
    2Pac - Hennesey
    2Pac - Thug Passion (Crystal and Alizay)
    Jimmy Buffet - Margaritaville
    Jimmy Buffet - If you like Pina Colada
    Jamie Foxx - Blame it on the alcohol ft. T-Pain

Sex Sells

Snoop Dogg - Sexual Eruption
    NIN - Closer
    Last edited by Cayotic; 02-03-2009 at 12:59 AM.

Or, u could go one step further and lay subliminal messages underneath music. Like, maybe lay in a vox of "i need a drink" or "this dj is the best" etc, at a virtually inaudible level. i must admit, the logistics of that would be pretty tough, though. anyway, just a random thought that sounds kind of silly, after i started typing, but.. what the hell...

and... ur probably right about the genre thing... something tells me there are gonna be more water orders when the dj is playing trance versus hip-hop...
    Last edited by aiden; 02-03-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Tech Wizard

I didn't think about it like that but yeah, as a puppet master of sorts, you don't want to work the crowd to the point of exhaustion. The end result is that they're only gunna consume water.

Point taken...

Tech Mentor

Hmm interesting theory. I have to agree with you.
    Thank Ya!!!

The human species is highly suggestable and theres no doubt in my mind that if your playing songs with booze references that bar sales will increase - infact i think in pop music companies are actually payed to include the names of differnt booze as a form of advertising.

Anyone doubting this should really check out the work of the hypnotist Derren Brown.

I think theres no reason why its not possible for a dj to implant suggestion - however i do not think that techniques such as dropping "this dj is the best" is going to work as this is not a subliminal message.

Heres a great example video of implanting suggestion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_-QcW4Q4I

Note at how in the end he smacks the wall, this is a distraction technique that gives him a small fraction of time to implant a suggestion - then he then says "this is the DOG your looking FOUR, thats why we came to this WIN-dow. To the ear this sounds just like it says but to your sublimial mind it actually sounds "Dog For Win" - note also how theses a multiple meanings for the word "four" and that dog four was the winning dog at the time.

I am no hypnotist but i do find these techniques really amazing and it certainly does take alot more thought to construct these suggestions than just picking out a sample saying "this dj is the best".

Forgot:
    Snoop Dogg - Gin & Juice
    Snoop Dogg - Pass the Courvoisier.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

its a good theory, all a good theory needs is testing. test away
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Tech Guru

DJs have a lot of power at gigs!

it's funny but it's true. then when you factor in alcohol+drug consumption, your power to influence and control people is enhanced that much more.

Tech Wizard

hmm..."born slippy" springs to mind for some reason :-)

And definitely "drink to get drunk" :-)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    Forgot:
    Snoop Dogg - Gin & Juice
    Snoop Dogg - Pass the Courvoisier.
    Good call on the Gin & Juice, but I think "Pass the Courvoisier" belongs to Busta Ryhmes.

I got snoops entire discography so I googled it.

Pass the Courvoisier Lyrics

I'm no stranger to subliminal messages. I remember hearing from my dad that coke references use to be embedded into movies in order to make you thirsty. Or more obvious is the consession commercials for refreshments that you watch prior to a movie in the theatre.

But just like anything else, too much exposure and the participants start to catch on and tune out. Thats why I don't even watch commercials any more. "TIVO baby..."

Fortunately, there isn't such thing as too many alcohol references because the patrons are at the establishment to drink in the first place... I just want them to drink more...