how to connect audio 2 DJ to active monitors directly ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default how to connect audio 2 DJ to active monitors directly ?

    Hi all.
    I Have Mac OS 10.6.04, Audio 2 DJ and two active monitors RCF Art 425A.
    When I connect one balanced wire StereoJack - XLR directly to the speaker, the sound is bad. If the wire is a little removed, it becomes better. Why is that? Maybe I did something wrong doing. Is my audio interface have balanced out?
    Can i use first of 1/4" output for headphones cueing and second on the first monitor, the signal from which will go on for a second. At the same time I want to get a stereo sound. Is it posible?

    Sorry for bad english!

  2. #2
    DJTT Tankard fullenglishpint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Albans, UK
    Posts
    7,101

    Default

    The problem is that the Audio 2 DJ is unbalanced, so basically if you plug it into a balanced XLR input the connections are going to the wrong place.

    Where the 'Cold' part of the balanced signal should be you have another 'Hot' signal from the other channel. That is why pulling it out slightly fixes the problem, because you're only sending one unbalanced mono channel instead of a stereo signal. What you need is either an external mixer with balanced outputs (expensive), or some arrangement of adapters to turn 1/4" unbalanced stereo into 2 separate mono unbalanced XLRs. You could use the TRS to RCA adapters that came with your audio 2 and then RCA - XLR cables like this:



    Further reading:

    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio"]Balanced audio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia@@AMEPARAM@@/wiki/File:Kabel-Symetrisch.png" class="image"><img alt="Kabel-Symetrisch.png" src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7d/Kabel-Symetrisch.png/220px-Kabel-Symetrisch.png"@@AMEPARAM@@commons/thumb/7/7d/Kabel-Symetrisch.png/220px-Kabel-Symetrisch.png[/ame]
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

  3. #3
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    The problem is that the Audio 2 DJ is unbalanced, so basically if you plug it into a balanced XLR input the connections are going to the wrong place.

    Where the 'Cold' part of the balanced signal should be you have another 'Hot' signal from the other channel. That is why pulling it out slightly fixes the problem, because you're only sending one unbalanced mono channel instead of a stereo signal. What you need is either an external mixer with balanced outputs (expensive), or some arrangement of adapters to turn 1/4" unbalanced stereo into 2 separate mono unbalanced XLRs. You could use the TRS to RCA adapters that came with your audio 2 and then RCA - XLR cables like this:
    thanks for the reply. tell me that if I buy myself NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 (http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...plete-audio-6/). This equipment has balanced outputs. As in that case I'll have to connect
    - two speakers in stereo
    - single speaker
    if I have at the moment the two wires "balance TRS - XLR" and a "balance XLR - XLR" (for transmission from the first speaker on the second).

  4. #4
    DJTT Tankard fullenglishpint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Albans, UK
    Posts
    7,101

    Default

    I can't find a picture of the exact input output config on those particular speakers, but i assume you'll just need 2 balanced TRS - XLR cables, one for each speaker. They shouldn't need to be connected, that's normally for transferring the signal onwards (daisy chaining) to another speaker if you're using more than 2.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

  5. #5
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    I can't find a picture of the exact input output config on those particular speakers, but i assume you'll just need 2 balanced TRS - XLR cables, one for each speaker. They shouldn't need to be connected, that's normally for transferring the signal onwards (daisy chaining) to another speaker if you're using more than 2.
    tnx again. now i understand how to connect both speakers.
    what if i need to connect only one speaker (the second may be somewhere else)? how then connect both channels in one speaker (in mono, I suppose)

    picture below


  6. #6
    DJTT Tankard fullenglishpint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Albans, UK
    Posts
    7,101

    Default

    You just connect one speaker to one output. Obviously you'll only get one side, but that's not normally too much of a problem.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

  7. #7
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    You just connect one speaker to one output. Obviously you'll only get one side, but that's not normally too much of a problem.
    but if i connect one speaker to one output i will get only one channel (left or right). and, if my song in stereo, i will lost half of the song. am i right?
    i though i can somehow mix left and right chennels in one mono and give it to my speaker.

  8. #8
    DJTT Tankard fullenglishpint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Albans, UK
    Posts
    7,101

    Default

    Nope.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

  9. #9
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Nope.
    Strange situation turns out. Imagine a song in which the left and right channels play different instruments.
    If I connect only one channel (right for example), I hear only the guitar, but I can not hear the pipe. But this is not normal!?

  10. #10
    DJTT Tankard fullenglishpint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Albans, UK
    Posts
    7,101

    Default

    That's why people tend to use stereo sound systems.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •