I never use my EQ knobs. Am I missing something?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default I never use my EQ knobs. Am I missing something?

As of right now, I use a Hercules RMX to DJ. Looking for a nice 4 channel midi mixer, but I don't have enough to drop on an S4 or DX. :/ I have the Scratch button on the RMX to toggle between using the eq knobs/ cutoffs for effects and EQ. But I've found that its almost always on. I never use Eq. I have 4 knobs on my lpd8 bound to the filters of all 4 decks. Thats what I use when I'm stacking songs or transitioning.

Every mixer that I see has EQ knobs. Its seems like everyone uses them. Except me. Or am I just going crazy?

Thanks!

Tech Mentor

It all depends on your style of mixing, dont fret.
    MBP i5 13", NI Z2, 2x NI X1, 2x NI F1s, NI Audio 8, A&H K2, Rane 2016, 2x 1210MK2e, 2x CDJ-400s, RMX-1000, NI S8, MBA 11"

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

It's a different mix approach, having band EQs is more versatile and precise IMO.

The vast majority of DJs do use them, but as the last guy said don't worry if not. A few times I've been mixing impromptu using just my X1 and Audio 2, and I just quickly remap the bottom 2 knobs to filters for each deck and it's perfectly functional. Not ideal for my style, but I can make it work.

Remember, a filter is effectively similar to a set of EQ knobs anyway, many people who use EQs simply cut the bass on one track and then blend the 2, which can be achieved just as effectively with a high pass filter.

They're a very useful tool to get your head around though, mastering every aspect of the tools on offer to you can only make you better
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

I use my EQ's, but you don't. It's just a different mixing style. Different not wrong.

I barley use the EQ either and when I do its just a little bit.

I figure all the tracks I mix are already mastered, but I do isolate frequencies for certain blends.

I should also note that I mix primarily Hip-Hop.
    Technics 1200 MK2s - Vestax PMC06 - NI Kontrol S2 - Traktor - Akai APC40 - Ableton Live 8

indeed, it also depends what genres you play.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Hey, the original DJ mixers didn't have eq's, you had to buy an extra "eq" section for the old Urei's. Personally, I use EQ all the time but I usually mix very long transitions (2-3 minutes or more). For people who mix 8,16 or 32 bars, you're just fine with the line faders and using a filter is just an extra cool bonus that adds for control and subtlety.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

depends on what you are playing...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Hey, the original DJ mixers didn't have eq's, you had to buy an extra "eq" section for the old Urei's. Personally, I use EQ all the time but I usually mix very long transitions (2-3 minutes or more). For people who mix 8,16 or 32 bars, you're just fine with the line faders and using a filter is just an extra cool bonus that adds for control and subtlety.
    a true DJ...letting the records speak for themselves...

where have you gone Joe Dimaggio?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast