Geekery time: The backup thread

Default Geekery time: The backup thread

Yesterday, I picked up a WD MyBook World Edition II 2TB NAS (it's actually 4GB, in Raid 1) for £150! I've hooked it up to the rest of my house via gigabit ethernet (I laid down the ethernet cables behind all the walls during a refurb recently).

I've also got an old Pentium4 running Windows XP as a server in the attic. It's basically a big old fileserver for all my movies/music (which get picked up via gigabit ethernet by the two xbmc HTPC's I've got in the sitting room / bedroom). I'm planning on using the NAS for music/files/pictures and the server for video as the NAS has pretty poor network performance (too slow for HD video streaming tbh).

Since setting this all up, I've removed all the old clunky hard disks from my main studio pc, HTPC's and laptop and replaced them all with 60gb SSD's, as all the data I need is stored on the NAS/server. Makes for very quiet and fast computing! Everything is all accessible via a LogMeIn VPN as well (makes backing up my girlfriend and parents pc's nice and easy).

To top it all off, all my data (minus the movies) are backed up from the NAS and server to my LiveDrive cloud account (free for a year via a recent HUKD promotion).

Suffice to say, I'm pretty happy with my backup solution but I'm always intereted in how other people keep their data backed up. Has anyone on here ever experienced massive data loss (hard disk failure, theft, etc)?

when i can be arsed to connect my laptop to the net, live mesh backs up my traktor user data to my skydrive on msn... that's about it tbh. everything else is somewhere on the net if i need it...

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

I, once a month backup my entire music collection to an external hard drive which also contains my traktor pro and traktor pro 2 installation files, tsi's, photos and a file full of passwords and is then locked in a fireproof safe not much bigger then the drive which is then mounted under a small flap in my wardrobe
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Quote Originally Posted by slpower01 View Post
    I, once a month backup my entire music collection to an external hard drive which also contains my traktor pro and traktor pro 2 installation files, tsi's, photos and a file full of passwords and is then locked in a fireproof safe not much bigger then the drive which is then mounted under a small flap in my wardrobe
    if only skrillex thought of that...

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

I used to manually backup my itunes to an external hard drive because that's where i put all my music collection (including my traktor library)

but now with time machine, I just plug in my external hard drive once a month to do a full time machine backup , it feels much safer

So far I havent had the need to resort to my time machine backup (as in I havent had a hard drive failure or anything, knock on wood) so i actually wouldnt know how well time machine does this, but its just easier to use, dont keep your external plugged in all the time though coz time machine could slow down your machine if its constantly updating
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Time Machine the whole lot. Except at the moment, my time machine drive's in the UK and I'm not, and I have no online alternative :/
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

1TB Time Capsule, backs up when I connect my lappy to AC at home

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

2 TB drive hooked to Time Machine on the DJ laptop 1 TB drive hooked to iMac.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

+1 to external USB storage and Time Machine.