Mix trains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mix trains

Default Mix trains

How do you mix into someone else's tracks... I can't get my head round it. Reckon I'm having a dime bar moment!

You receive a 20min sample you load it into a deck in traktor? You then play it and mix into the end. How do you carry on the recording though so at the end you have, say, a 40 min file with your bit added on?

Is there other tools involved?
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Tech Guru

I presume you just load up the bit you recieved... Press record...hit play... Wait till the last couple bars.. Do your mix... Add a bit for next person to mix in and press stop... Send it on to next person and repeat
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

That's how it usually works but you can end up with degraded quality on the previous parts as the train moves forward.
    • Someone records really hot with the gain turned down in traktor => everyone's parts suffer
    • Someone in the chain can't upload a lossless file => the next guy gets a big mp3 of a bunch of mp3s and things start being degraded
    • If one of the DJs records through a poor soundcard, has a shabby mixer which seriously colours the sound or poor audio interconnects (or all of the above) => you get the idea.

As a general rule of thumb, make an A/B comparison of the previous DJ's part before and after it's gone through you. If it sounds worse, fix your setup !

Whenever possible it's probably a better idea to cut the file you were given, mix out of a trimmed sub-section and join the files back together.
    There is always some kind of issue with gain staging though so you may find you need to adjust the levels only over the part you're using, or thereabouts, so as not to mess up everything else.

I suggest you read up on the technical aspects of Shiftee's mixtape process, as described by himself here : http://djshiftee.com/2010/12/how-i-m...e-tips-tricks/

Here's how I do it :
    • Snip the previous parts into two bits : a main segment which I'll leave alone, and a #2 segment I'll be mixing out of which will be imported into TSP. The cut typically occurs at a quite obvious structural point of the ending track.
    • #2 gets analyzed, beatgridded and eventually if it's long enough, it'll receive a couple hotcues to remind me of where I want to start doing things.
    • Hit record, play, hit stop
    • Import the recording into sound editor, trim so it starts at the appropriate cutting point.
    • Adjust levels on my part with some volume automation to make things more even.
      This may require adjusting levels near the end of the previous part if it's needed. I use autogain, so there's a chance I've altered the previous part's level : it could be painfully obvious to just slap it on and call it a day at this point. Hello +6db jump for no reason
    • Render to flac, upload, post tracklist

When you're recording a set alone, but in several sections, you don't really have issues with gain staging like this.
    Last edited by bumtsch; 06-02-2011 at 12:48 PM.

I cut just the last track off the mix I receive using protools or some other audio editor. Load the last track into Traktor, start recording, mix in my part and then take that recording and splice it back on to the original recording. I always record in Wav anyway and then convert to whatever the others want, ie. Flac or some such.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

sit there and get drunk while you wait for the first hour to finish in traktor then mix into that shit
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    sit there and get drunk while you wait for the first hour to finish in traktor then mix into that shit
    ...and if doing so, you MUST use a video camera to record your 'performance'

Quote Originally Posted by slpower01 View Post
    I presume you just load up the bit you recieved... Press record...hit play... Wait till the last couple bars.. Do your mix... Add a bit for next person to mix in and press stop... Send it on to next person and repeat
    Think about how that would end up ... last person waiting for 45+ mins just to get to the part they want to record into, and they nip out whilst waiting and miss there point and have to do it all over again hahaha

good idea to grid the last section of the previous part as well if you are using traktor
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

ok so quite simply it is a messy process as i thought it would be ... at ease gents! thanks for the info

just go first dude then you dont have to worry about the technical shit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast