My eyes lit up.....then my heart got shattered!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My eyes lit up.....then my heart got shattered!

I live approx 250 miles away from my family and a few days ago I was with work near where my family are, so I stayed with my parents.

As I was about to leave and drive back home after staying there the night and work done the day before, my Mum said "Oh, and there's a box of yours upstairs. No idea what it is and I was gonna throw it out, but it's the last possession of yours in this house and thought you could just make sure it's something I can throw out."

Curious, I went upstairs to seek out the box. Upon opening it my eyes lit up to the point where my Mum got confused as to why I was so happy. The content of the box made me so happy. It was something I bought 15 years ago when I was just 15 years old. It was my Roland TR-707 rhythm machine. I remember making my first ever electronic and indie 4-track demos using this! I then went downstairs and had a glance on eBay on my way out. My eyes got even wider when I saw they were selling on eBay for about £300 each!!!!!

I packed up and left for home, taking my TR-707 with me. Got home, and the first thing I unpacked was my Roland. Plugged it in to have a play and nothing. Fiddled a bit and jigged the power wire, still nothing. Unplugged and stuck batteries in, still nothing. To my horror, it seems like it won't power on at all and my heart sunk and felt shattered!

I'm now trying to figure out the issue or find someone who can repair it but I'm finding it near impossible!

Anyone able to provide a happy ending to this tale of mine?
    Last edited by Bunford; 06-03-2011 at 08:49 AM.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Good luck!!!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Did you leave batteries in it? Corrosion is your worst enemy.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

What's even worse is that I'd forgotten about ti cos I thought I'd sold it/thrown it out about 8 years ago. I was up my parents' staying the night about a month ago and took away a load of old tapes with me to have a listen to.

Amongst these old tapes were 3 memory cartridges for the TR-707, which I then threw out thinking they were useless to me without the TR-707. I now find that the cartridges are selling for about £40 each on eBay, meaning I inadvertently threw out £120 worth of memory cartridges only about 2 weeks ago,just before I rediscovered my TR-707!

A proper gutting tale I tell you!
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Did you leave batteries in it? Corrosion is your worst enemy.
    Nope, definitely no batteries left in there. The battery compartment is spaklingly clean with no evidence of any corrosion, rust, acid damage or anything.

try opening it up yourself see if anything has come apart.

You lucky bastard....
    Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    senior citizen's attics, the garbage dump, swamps, underwater treasure chests, graveyards, hollowed out tree stumps, abandoned coal mines.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Yeah open it up, power cables tend to get corroded and break easily. May be a quick an easy fix if that's it. Are there any fuses in it?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Not sure. Will open it up and have a quick squiz this weekend I reckon.

Regarding the cabling, the shrink tubing covering the wire is split open on a part, but the wire inside is perfectly in tact. And if there was an issue with that, I'd imagine it should still work with the batteries.
    Last edited by Bunford; 06-03-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxonemillionone View Post
    You lucky bastard....
    Wanna buy a fault TR-707?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast