Portable hard drive for music

Default Portable hard drive for music

Hey! so im looking to buy a portable hard drive because im going to need to transfer all of my music and some software to another laptop pretty soon. and i found these twooooo

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-Ultra-Portable-External-STAA1000100/dp/B003ELOSI2"]Amazon.com: Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB USB 2.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive STAA1000100 (Black): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ycYccRPEL.@@AMEPARAM@@31ycYccRPEL[/ame]

and

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-All-Terrain-FireWire-Portable-301371/dp/B0018B5CA8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]Amazon.com: LaCie Rugged All-Terrain 500 GB FireWire 800/ FireWire 400/USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive 301371: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZpRzVTjIL.@@AMEPARAM@@41ZpRzVTjIL[/ame]

I dont know very much about hard drives, and which one is even technically better. But i do like the sturdy design of he LaCie hard drive, but some of the reviews on Amazon were a little sketchy. soo i dunno

if anyone has any advice on good portable hard drives or experience with these i would love to hear it! thanks
    2x Midi-Fighters, 1x Technics 1200MK2, Xone 2:02, Traktor Pro 2, Macbook Pro 13', Audio 2, circuit bent Gameboy, aaaaand some poopy Logitech speakerz.

Tech Guru

I have a 250gb western digital thats never let me down and been using it for about 4 years, cost me like 150euro at the time... then last year my dad got me a imation 500gb hard drive from hong kong for like 10 euro and that hasnt let me down either if hes over in hong kong again going to deffinatly get him to pick up a load more.. at that price... if they break im sure ill have a backup
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Guru

WD have always been very reliable. Only get FireWire if both the laptop you have now and the laptop you are getting have it available. You don't wanna be stuck with a FireWire only drive and then have to buy a PCI-E card just for that. Honestly I keep 5 Gigs of music on my hard drive as stuff I always need and the rest on a portable that way if anything does go wrong with the portable drive I have something to fall back on.
    Last edited by bartboy; 06-03-2011 at 10:53 AM.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

I've got a seagate freeagent go, I've dropped it on a hard floor a couple of times and it still works fine. Firewire's nice to have though, since basically nothing uses it and and it frees up a USB port.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

firewire would deff be nice to have on the HD. I'll be only using macs and they will both have Firewire. And i did look at some WD hard drives just now and their portable one for mac dosnt have a firewire port :/ so seagate is looking pretty good
    2x Midi-Fighters, 1x Technics 1200MK2, Xone 2:02, Traktor Pro 2, Macbook Pro 13', Audio 2, circuit bent Gameboy, aaaaand some poopy Logitech speakerz.

Tech Guru

damn you firewire owners
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Those rugged drives are great. I've used them for years in the film industry and never had a problem. They are more expensive per GB though. Might I suggest getting a drive that, after you're done transfering your media to a new computer, is big enough to use as a backup with time machine. I keep a 1TB drive hooked to my laptop with a 700GB partion strictly for Time machine backups that way if anything goes awry I can restore back to immediately before the crash.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Those rugged drives are great. I've used them for years in the film industry and never had a problem. They are more expensive per GB though. Might I suggest getting a drive that, after you're done transfering your media to a new computer, is big enough to use as a backup with time machine. I keep a 1TB drive hooked to my laptop with a 700GB partion strictly for Time machine backups that way if anything goes awry I can restore back to immediately before the crash.
    I was actually thinking about doing that.. because I could get the Seagate one i posted for $100. which still sounds like a decent price to me. i dont see me using 1tb as of now, but its always good to have more just in case. but i think the Lacie ones are looking a little to pricey for me at 1tb :/ but i do like the rugged design