Serato as an Audio Interface??
    Tech Convert

Default Serato as an Audio Interface??

Hi sorry if it is a dumb question, can you use serato as an audio interface? i wanted similar setup to ean golden, i prefer mixing on the actual mixer, so the dedicated headphone jack is not important (pretty sure serato doesnt have one) can you plug serato in , and select the two outputs on traktor to serato, then into your mixer? and what does ASIO drivers mean? thanks

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sebko View Post
    can you use serato as an audio interface?
    Yes, you can. Here's a previous post with links to the drivers (Windows only).

Quote Originally Posted by sebko View Post
    and what does ASIO drivers mean? thanks
    From Wikipedia:

Audio Stream Input/Output (ASIO) is a computer soundcard driver protocol for digital audio specified by Steinberg, providing a low-latency and high fidelity interface between a software application and a computer's sound card.
    Finally, just wanted to say that I've never tried using my SSL box as an audio interface (outside of ScratchLIVE), but according to others, you're better off investing in a separate audio interface.

Tech Convert

ok thanks for that tip? why is it recomended to have a serparate audio interface? not worrying about dedicated headphones jacks... is latency good, and is it responsive?

do you already have a Serato box? if so, I could understand re-using it but if not then buy a good sound card with 3 stereo pairs of outputs.

Tech Wizard

i have 2 serato boxes(don't ask) and i have tried the asio drivers, http://scratchlive.net/forum/discuss...ssion_id=38253

save yourself some time and frustration and just go out and get a soundcard. its nice to know that the ssl box can do a half ass job as a soundcard from '95, but there just is no comparison to actual soundcards of today. if you want to take alook at the frustration of others, just search the scratchlive.net forum....
    http://scratchlive.net/forum/search/?q=ASIO+drivers+

good luck to ya.

Tech Convert

yeah i got one serato box...ok im going to invest in and Audio Kontrol, done the research and seems like the best option! thanks guys

Tech Guru

I own an Audio Kontrol 1, its great (does pretty much everything I want now perfectly, MIDI controls are nice + it looks awesome), But its got 2 distinct downsides:

1. Its only got 1 Stereo Input and 2 Stereo Outs, as Ean said you really want something with more outputs (3+) for DJing, and probably more inputs also, as it will be better in the long run.

2. The inputs are Line in, so if you did want to connect a turntable into it you would need to get a phono-preamp like I have done (not a biggie, only $40-50, just means more equipment/cables).

I recommend the Saffire LE, or the NI Audio 8, which are a bit more expensive but IMO def worth it.

plus the audio control has 1/4" outputs. After years of cables that can be a real pain in the ass. If you can afford the audio 8dj then I would go with that over the control.