Bad Digital DJs - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bad Digital DJs

I think everyone says this but, you need to get out there. Most info I know on sound and equipment is by asking people. They give you the basics. Then you research beyond that. But I have had semi-drunk DJ, that just wanted to talk, explain a shit ton of information to me in 1 hour. You just need to get in the scene, know the people and the equipment.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    wow... I get nothin on the gain explanation? I'm proud of that

no love, I just get no love.
    Thanks for the explanation, but i dont get it ... i am just a bedroom dj and don't protest that i am anything other .. i just play at home for fun.

I didnt realise there was a difference between Gain and volume. I just thought the Gain was there so that you could allow all tracks to be the same volume when the channel faders are at the top.

Is this gonna be another skool day for me ?

Please dont shout at me or laugh

Gav

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jthompsn View Post
    DvlsAdvct-

Where in NY are you. Maybe you could tutor my noob self in the art of Digtal Djing?
    I live in North Jersey, but work and play in Manhattan. The rent costs make it that much cheaper.

We can discuss details if you want. I agree with what Foreverhex said, though. The best way to learn this stuff is to get out there and see it, and find people in the scene, in your scene, to teach you.

What kind of music are you into?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole
    I didnt realise there was a difference between Gain and volume. I just thought the Gain was there so that you could allow all tracks to be the same volume when the channel faders are at the top.

Is this gonna be another skool day for me ?
    As I understand it, that's not terribly far from what it does. The gain boosts the input levels so that you can normalize them with the volume controls. Pretty much, if the sound isn't big enough for what you're doing, it makes it bigger at the core, and then you tweak it with EQ and volume to line them up so both songs are a similar level.

But once you get out of the bedroom you need to start thinking about headroom and not having your volume straight at the top. But don't worry about that yet.

for example: it might be my language barrier, but for example i have only the simplest awareness of passive or active speakers topic. Actualy, a guy in sound shop told me interesting thing: "You are digital DJ? Believe it or not, you are so much sound technician than you would admit, i highly recommend you to read some pro books about sound".. i want to take his advice... just at the moment dunno about such book
    I would say this stands true of most DJs in general. We should know how this stuff works, if anything to be able to troubleshoot.

As an anecdote, this girl does backup for a resident DJ. When he needs to go to grab a ciggarette, or hit the bathroom or grab a drink she spins for the few minutes he's gone. So, last time she did this something went wrong and she had no idea how to fix it. BAM! 3 minutes of dead air. She's not allowed in the booth anymore. He showed up, flipped a switch, and it all worked.

We need to know what we're doing and how it works, if nothing else than to keep the security of our gig.

anyway, here's something I found with a quick google search
    Active vs Passive speakers
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

haha one of my first gigs that I promoted I brought the wrong cables for my DJ set by mistake. I would've realized before hand if I'd made time for us to do soundcheck for my gear, so I didn't find out until it was my slot- very embarassing! We were running so behind, it was a gong show. Luckily the crowd didn't notice and enjoyed themselves-but for me it was an incredibly stressful night.

Fortunately I was able to get one of the DJs who played earlier to fill in for me and save the rest of the night so it wasn't a huge issue that I couldn't play. For what it's worth, all the mistakes I made that show were great lessons (learned the hard way) which have helped me become more professional in both DJing and promoting.

[QUOTE=DvlsAdvct;27675]I live in North Jersey, but work and play in Manhattan. The rent costs make it that much cheaper.

We can discuss details if you want. I agree with what Foreverhex said, though. The best way to learn this stuff is to get out there and see it, and find people in the scene, in your scene, to teach you.

What kind of music are you into?

I live in Pearl River, NY. Real close to Montvale, Westwood, Rivervale and about 20 min from the Garden State Plaza. Lots or Irish Pubs in the area but not very many dj's that actually do more than poorly play 1 track to the next.

I'd really like to learn hands on how to be a better digital dj. If you are close and willing I would love to meet up and could work something out for your time. I listen to all styles of music, hard to say what I'm really into. I just ordered a new arcade button vci-100 from djtt and plan to sell my vci when I get that one. I love the possiblities controllerism offers and want to really learn how I can mix better and apply effects and such. I am still somewhat of a noob, but I wouldn't plug into a system thru the 1/8 output on the side of my macbook if thats any help! lol Maybe we can work something out? peace.
    JT
    [Macbook 2.2ghz core 2, 4gb ram, 500gb 7200 Seagate Momentus HD, Western Digital 500gb external HD, Lion 10.7.2, Kontrol S4, Midi Fighter #67, Pioneer HDJ-2000, Traktor Pro 2

hit me up on PM and we'll see if there are any details we can arrange.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard djcelebrityt@hotmail.com's Avatar

a dj is a performer just like any other performer best to know what you are doing before you leave your house or let those who know get on with it
    one thing being late will mess your whole night and set the crowd against you

Quote Originally Posted by Kupujte_Pytle View Post
    i want to take his advice... just at the moment dunno about such book
    The Sound Reinforcement Handbook is known as the bible among sound geeks.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    The big difference is WHERE you're turning up the volume at.

On most mixers the gain is PRE. So that means it processes the audio before the level fader. So that means if you push the gain knob to high, and keep your level faders down, you can still sound "hot"

The simplest way I can explain it is... Gain controls the constant volume. Levels adjust the CURRENT volume.

This is an over simplification, but for the sake of forum..yeahh...
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Yeah, what she said too.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast